Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent! Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipGiver

Programmer
Sep 1, 2005
Hello,

I have installed windows xp pro on disk C. Can i create a small partition say 40GB on that (system disk) to install linux also? I can't find a way with the disk management..

Thank you.

Yes it is possible, but not with Windows own programms or Boot Manager...

On SuSE Linux Distro (the one I am familiar with), the Installer takes care of it for you... but be careful, as with any type of repartitioning there is a minimal chance that when it goes wrong you may loose all your data, SO BACK UP...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I will install either SuSE 9.1 or Fedora Core 5

What do you think?

If you've already allocated whole drive to XP, you need to use a partitioning tool (eg, partition magec) to reduce xp partition to make space for linux.

if its a new XP install (ie, can easily replace it), then just reinstall on partition leaving enough space for linux.

@wolluf - The Installer of the SuSE Linux, starting with 8.0, has a partitioning tool, which will do this automatically...

@TipGiver - before you install LINUX, do yourself a favor and do these two things first...

1.) DEFRAG the Drive as it will group data together, best if you use a defraging app other than the one that comes with XP, ie. O&O Defrag, as they can group them to the beginning of the HDD...

2.) Back UP any relevant and important DATA first...

Ben

Thank you for the response.

I want to install Fedora Core 5 linux.. Although it is not the right area to post, is it good or SuSE is better (firstly for developing)

bigbadben - you mean the SuSE installer has a resize partition tool that works with ntfs filestore? (its been a couple of years since I last tried a linux distro - I've not had a lot of joy with any of them! - so have got out of touch with what they can do now). If it does I'd still rather not use it (If it was me) - using partition magic within windows (to resize system/boot partition) can leave an installation unbootable sometimes, so I'd suspect a linux based utility could easily do the same.

Hey wolluf, what computer have you been hiding under. Linux distros have come with partitioning tools(qtparted) for quite awhile. Nothing fancy but does the job on any file system and I've never had a problem with it after many, many installs.

wolluf, Mandrake (Mandriva) has been been resizing NTFS partitions as part of the installation for a couple of releases now as well.

Err.. I have windows installed in C (ntfs). Can i use partition magic to create a small partition for linux?

Yes, recent versions of Partition Magic can be used to resiize your NTFS system partition. I don't think that Fedora will resize the NTFS part as part of the installaion. You will probably need to do it beforehand with PM or parted.

Correct guys, I am only familiar with SuSE, since it is widely spread over here in Germany...

@wolluf - don't worry, we all can't be up to date on everything, otherwise we would not be here to ask and to give tips (help) to others... :) but your observation about Partitioning Tools is a valid one, that is why I suggested to back up any relevant data...

@TippGiver - reread my last post, where it states that you should DEFRAG the Drive before hand and do a BackUp of important DATA... then proceed to install Linux...

Defraging if done correctly (by the programm) can place all data to a certain area of the HDD, then Repartitioning should not be a problem...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back