Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent! Object reference problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmarney

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
I know I have posted this before, but am having trouble getting a good answer.
Here is the current code:
It works great in a form, but not in a report.

Dim rs As Object
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select * from tbl_Attendants Where Tee_Shirt_Size = 'L'")
rs.MoveLast
Me.tx_L_Count = rs.RecordCount

**The error is on the assignment to the text box line.**
It says, "You can't assign a value to this object."

Me!tx... Does nott help anything.
Thanks!
M. MARNEY

Hi,
Are you simply trying to count the number of "L" tshirts? In this case, you don't need to do it this way. There is a much simpler way using the DCount function.

Here are the steps to follow:
1) Add a text box to the report (we can call it txtShirtCount). It doesn't even have to be visible.
2) The control source for this text box would be:
=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]","tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L'") HTH, [pc2]
Randy Smith
California Teachers Association

mdmarney:

Try: Me!tx_L_Count.Value = rs.RecordCount

Hope this helps,

Vic

Hi!

One more question (we are a curious bunch!), where is the code you posted?

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Randy,
Thank you for the code.
I need to add another field to the where clause though.
Basically...
"[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L' AND [Group_ID] = '&[Current_Group_ID]'"
Will this work? *************
M. MARNEY

Tried what i had above, but got error. I think I am probably referencing the Current_Group_ID wrong. Any thoughts? *************
M. MARNEY

Almost got it!!!!

This is what you are showing me:
"[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L' AND [Group_ID] = '&[Current_Group_ID]'"

And this is what the final is supposed to be (presuming that Group_ID is string datatype):
=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]", "tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L'" AND [Group_ID] = '" & [Current_Group_ID] & "'")

STRINGS MUST HAVE SINGLE QUOTE MARKS SURROUNDING THEM. IF NUMERIC, then no quote marks. Here is a sample if the Group_ID is numeric:
=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]", "tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L'" AND [Group_ID] = [Current_Group_ID]") HTH, [pc2]
Randy Smith

Randy,
Ok, re-read your post and say the answer to my last. Sorry. The code you provided was invalid. I assumed the double-quote after L' was misplaced.
Still having trouble though...

=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]","tbl_Attendants","[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L' AND [Parish_Group_ID] = [Parish_Group_ID]")
This code returns the value as if Parish_Group_ID was disregarded.
??? *************
M. MARNEY

HI,
This should work:

=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]", "tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L'" AND [Group_ID] = " & [Current_Group_ID]) HTH, [pc2]
Randy Smith

Did not work. Syntax error - Missing Operand!
One thing that might be causing problems: My actual code reads:
=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]", "tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L'" AND [Parish_Group_ID] = " & [Parish_Group_ID])

How does it know that I want the Parish_Group_ID that corresponds to the current page of the report? *************
M. MARNEY

Try

=DCount("[Tee_Shirt_Size]", "tbl_Attendants", "[Tee_Shirt_Size] = 'L' AND [Parish_Group_ID] = " & [Parish_Group_ID])

By the way, mdmarney,

Your original code will probably work if you put it in the right print event (for the report detail section: Detail_Print, etc.)
Just try it.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back