Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT - NT4 INSTALLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelj

MIS
Jun 11, 1999
GB
Guys, <br>
<br>
I am trying to install NT4 server off a CD it boots and goes so far every time but stops at different stages and those are usually before I manage to partition drives. In fact the last attempt stopped when I tried to set the size for the FAT and NTFS partitions.<br>
My worry is hardware:<br>
I have 2 P3 550 Intel CPUs, 256RAM and 2 Fujitsu 13.5Gb 7200RPM 2Mb cache Hard drives (one primary, one slave).<br>
<br>
Could the hard drive size be a problem for NT4, is there a better way of doing the instalation maybe installing DOS or 95/98 and then the rest or ....???&quot;?!?!?!? <br>
<br>
Or could the processors be a problem (Dual CPU on a Gigabyte motherboard)...??<br>
<br>
In fact all I need to do is start booting of the CD and leave it and it will halt the system at the first screen if I leave it for a few moments...<br>
Is there something in the BIOS I could alter..<br>
<br>
Please help this is URGENT!!!<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>

There are a number of posts a few weeks back in this forum addressing drive size issues. Basically, you should only create a 4000MB system partition and leave the rest of the disk alone until after NT is running and has been servie packed. You can then format the rest of your disks.<br>
<br>
The fact that it hangs just leaving it sit suggests a hardware problem. Is your RAM all matched for speed? Make sure you tell your CMOS setup that you don't have a PNP OS. Check the power mgmt settings, turn them off if possible. Make sure your slave disk is set to actually be a slave. Try unplugging it and installing then adding the scond disk later. Can you make the second disk a master on a second ide channel? If you have a tape drive try unplugging that as well. Just a few suggestions....

I also had that problem whilst loading Win 98 sometime ago.<br>
<br>
I found out the problem was with the memory. <br>
<br>
However I agree with the other recommendation that you should use one drive first and having got that going, you lookabout the second drive.<br>
<br>
<br>
Byron

Try to boot from floppy: <br>
<br>
1. create NT4 bootdisks or<br>
2. use Win95/98-bootdisk with CD-ROM-driver<br>
<br>
HTH,<br>
-Michael

I have tried some of this:<br>
<br>
I fdisked the HDD first and then tried NT4 - no good.<br>
<br>
Then I tried fdisking the drive to remove everything of it and try a Win98 installation! Surprise - got to about 33% and then it decided to just freeze again. <br>
<br>
BTW, where do you create the NT4 boot disks from because I haven't tried that one yet???<br>
<br>
Cheers chaps!<br>

Try the following: Get any old computer with a CD ROM and a running operating system. Put in NT Server. Go to DOS to D:\i386 and do setup/ox to create the floppy disks. You need 3 floppies.<br>
<br>
Next, on the new computer. Boot using a win9x disk. Fdisk it and then create a 2Gb partition. If you then format it using FAT32 you will not be able to run NT without deleting the partition...<br>
<br>
Fdisking on its own does not remove everything from a drive.<br>
<br>
Zel

create a 2 gig (2047 meg) partition formatted with fat 16 ie. dos 6.22 load the cdrom. Copy the i386 to the hard drive (with all the subdirectories). Run winnt.exe from the c:\i386\ directory. Follow the directions. You will need 3 blank floppies for the setup disks. <br>
good luck<br>
neil

Thanks guys!<br>
<br>
I am 99% sure it is down to a hardware error. Maybe RAM or the HDD but the damn thing is brand new under warranty so I've sent it back for replacement of those bits. When it comes back, hopefully very soon, I'll give it a go again and then let you know. The reason I believe this is 'cause I've had a similar one before and the memory was duff. So I hope its the same this time.<br>
<br>
&quot;Talk&quot; to you soon...

Okee...Here's another way.<br>
Ableit painful.<br>
<br>
Snag a copy of Redhat 6.<br>
Use the DiskDruid to wipe out the partitions.<br>
Spend an hour installing Redhat 6<br>
Fdisk out the partitions and boot from NT CDROM<br>

My suggestion is to stick to basics.<br>
<br>
Get the hardware working under DOS and then install NT. That way you iron out some of the possible problems. <br>
Create DOS 6.2 Boot floppy ( DO not use FAT 32)with all neccesary files FDISK, SYS, MSCDEX, FORMAT and relevant SCSI drivers. Create your 2GB partition and copy the whole I386 directory to this and then run Winnt /b from the C drive and let NT do the rest. Always works for me so I hope this helps you.<br>
<br>
Let us know how you get on.

For what it is worth - I had the same problem and it turned out to be bad memory - I replaced it and all went as it should.

I have now heard that NT4 (original service pack 1 setup disk)cannot cope with HDDs larger than 8Gb unless an updated atapi device is specified during the setup procedure.<br>
<br>
I have looked for it and it is available as part of SP2, 3, 4... but what I need are those updated atapi files separately so that I can install from scratch with my HDDs being recognised properly as 18Gb. <br>
Q:<br>
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN DOWLOAD THOSE FILES FROM PLEASE??<br>
<br>
Thanks guys

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt40/atapi/ATAPI.EXE" TARGET="_new">ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt40/atapi/ATAPI.EXE</A><br>
<br>
There is a thread from snicks2 dated Nov 2 in this forum that discusses this issue.<br>
<br>
Personally, I think you're better off creating a 4GB system partition and after installing NT and the latest service pack, creating a 14GB data partition. It's not generally a good idea to mix your OS and data on a server. <p> <br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You do need to create &quot;only&quot; a 4GB partition for loading. We also set the other partitions at this time so the CD access later works without changing the REG.<br>
You have to do the install from floppies and answer yes to alternate storage drivers. This is the 8.4GB+ driver that is also in SP4.<br>
Future: SCSI drives & NT are the only way to go. The initial price is higher, but the benefits are enormous. Not to mention the lack of problems associated with IDE drives.

I have sorted it chaps and this is how!<br>
<br>
I started off AGAIN with the original NT4 SP1 installation CD and created a 2Gb system partition although the rest was not recognised by NT at the installation stage. Once I installed it I ran the SP5 and it recognised the other 16Gb of HDD as it should have in the first place. Then I used disk admistrator to NTFS the rest of the HDD. <br>
<br>
I still don't think that SCSI is the only way to go with NT because the IBM deskstar 7200 RPM with 2Mb cache is very fast (or fast enough for now!) and I found it easier to install.<br>
<br>
So the tip from me is: if NT4 install doesn't recognise the bigger HDDs at first carry on and after it installs run the SP 4 or above....<br>
<br>
Thanks for all your advice though - it all helped me solve the problems of installation. <br>
<br>
However, I might have some more soon with something else so HANG ON....!!!!<br>
<br>
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back