Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent: NT login/domain/workgroup issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamaman

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
Hello,
I've managed to royally mess up my company laptop. Here's the situation:

The laptop has Win NT 4.0 SP 6. I have a Home Network of Win 98 machines. In order to get my NT 6.0 laptop onto the home network to get onto the internet, I changed the network setting from Domain to Workgroup and assigned my local workgroup name.

When I rebooted, I get a login box that will not accept my username and password from the previous NT domain.

HELP! How can I get into my laptop to change the settings back?

Also, any creative ideas on how to log my laptop onto my home network when I get this all fixed?

Thanks for all help!

Llamaman

Do you have the local admin password? Deklin

As deklin says - you'll need a local (not domain) account - preferably administrator - to log on to this machine (somebody at your company should know this, if they set up the laptop in the first place). This is a very common issue - company domain based laptops should have a warning printed on them!

If he had permission to change from a domain
to a workgroup, he should be able to log into
that workgroup on that laptop. Right?
for instance if he logged into laptop while
unplugged from the network and it used the
cached password, having permission to change
to a workgroup it would have asked for
a username and password for that workgroup.
Shouldn't he be able to use the same username
and password that he said that had permission to
join that workgroup? Of course he is going to
have to be connected back to his original network
at work and have permission in order to rejoin the domain.

Larry

Thanks, guys, for your help. I don't have a local admin password - maybe I can coax the Network Control Freaks at work to relinquish rights to a local admin password.

How would you suggest I set up the laptop at home in order to log on to my home network? (I have a USB DSL modem, so NT cannot connect directly w/ the modem - I'll have to go through my home network somehow.) I have 3 PC's on the network now ...

Thanks,
Llamaman

You can use a cable router/dsl router, then all your pc's can be on the internet. Netgear, LinkSYs and Cisco all make cable routers. Personally i have used the linksys and the cisco. They both work good but with the cisco you will pay the cisco price. Good Luck Deklin

Doh!
I forgot it doesn't ask for
username and password when you join
a workgroup just on a domain.

Larry

Delkin,
I have a USB DSL modem - can I still use one of these routers?

Thanks,
LLamaman

As far as i know, once you institute the use of a router you also need to use network cards and CAT 5 cable. You will just need to plug the cable modem into the router, via CAT 5 cable, and plug the computers into your router. If you have 4 computyers or less you can use a linksys router. It has 4 ports for computers on it. If you are going to have more than 4 computers on your network then i would invest in either a switch or a hub. In which case your network would look like this......Cable modem connected to the cable router, your cable router connect to your switch or hub, and your pc's plugged into the hub or switch with cat 5 cable. Cat 5 cable is also known as patch cables. Your local computer store should sell all of this equipment or you can look at in on a website like or
Good Luck Deklin

Delkin,
Yes, I have seen that set-up. My DSL modem does not have a CAT-5 cable - it has a USB cable to connect to my PC. I'm wondering if there are routers available where I can use my USB modem???

Thanks,
Llamaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back