Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT: Need to get this computer to work tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
Am building a computer and it needs to get working tonight. This is the third machine I am building and the first one with two harddrives. The motherboard is ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe. The harddrives are 2 Maxtor 160GB SATA connected to the Promise Raid. I want to setup these harddrives so they mirror each other.
When I power the computer up, it does not do much except checking out the IDE drives and then asks me if I want to press Ctrl F to get into the Promise Technology Fastbuild utility. I did this once and it setup the mirror of the harddrives.
I tried both the Windows 2000 boot disks as the by maxtor recommended Maxblaster boot disk. None work.
I cannot get into the bios. My guide says to press delete upon powering up, but nothing happens when I do this.

Forever greatful for the quick response.

Iwould try resetting the BIOS first and if that does not work take out all the non essential hardware and try.

I'm not at all familiar with Windows 2000 (that's a good start isn't it!), but I guess the boot disk(s) are CD-ROM? If so, and you can work out how to get into BIOS, check to see if it is set to boot off CD drive.

I cannot get into the Bios. I already thought that it might be that it is booting to the CD drive, but need to get into the Bios first.

Pull the ATX out completely, and pull the CMOS Battery for 5 min... Put it back in and plug in, boot up

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Hola, follow what is said so far as to clearing the CMOS... then make sure that the KEYBOARD is correctly plugged in and that it is functioning (seen some KB that where brand new and didn't work), or plug in another functioning KB...

Ben

PS - try hitting also F1 to enter the BIOS setup...

You may need to hold down Delete, or press it repeatedly to get the right time.

I was on the phone with the people from ASUS and it seems that I have a bad motherboard. Am sending it back tonight. Stefaan

I've had 3 of those in a row now. We are rma'ing the rma's.

Also ensure that the keyboard you are booting up with is a PS2 type and not USB. Some bios don't recognize USB ports, and the system would only realize that you have a usb keyboard when Windows loads up (along with it's usb drivers).

Try connecting an older PS2 keyboard and hit "del", "F1", or whatever they ask you to hit, and that should let you into the bios.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back