Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent need for Compaq 3200 controller!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWoodbridge

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2003
GB
Hi -

We have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server with a Smart Array 3200 controller, used purely for the 5x9GB RAID5 array.

unfortunately.. when powering down the server yesterday as part of installing the latest security patch etc, the machine decided it was not going to power itself up again under any circumstances.

The boot process gets as far as the Smart array controller trying to initialise, spends several minutes trying to do so and then fails. The lights on the all the drives flash when you first turn the system on, but remain off after that. The system was working perfectly up to the point where we chose to shut it down..

You know whats coming now.. Yep - there is data on the RAID array, not backed up and 'Vital' to obtain. And guess who has to retrieve it???

I am led to believe that I cannot just put a new RAID controller in as that will wipe the data off the drives. I am also told that if I fit an identical controller, another smart array 3200, this may save the data..

Please, can you confirm or deny these statements? Also, despite efforts, I have been unable to track one down. My intention now will be to replace that server, so a short term loan of a suitable card, or purchase of a second hand one are both options. Does anyone have a source for such? I am based near Southampton, UK

I would be truly grateful for all advice recieved..! Regards, Ben

Hi Ben,

just so you know: The configuration is saved on the disks, not the controller. Another Smart Array Controller should be able to read the data on the disks. I would suggest another 3200, or if you can't get one of them, use one of the older Smart-2 series (e.g. 2-DH). If you use a Smart-2 controller, make sure it has the latest Firmware before attaching your drives to it. Newer Smart Array Controllers (4,5,6 series) use different drivers in Windows than the one for the 3200, which means they would see the drives, but Windows would not be able to boot (Bluescreen).
As I'm not in the UK, I can't suggest any source for getting your hands on one. Good luck, though.

Regards, Stephen

Hi,

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with the Smart Array 3200 controller and 6 x 18GB drives. I just bought it from a client but would be interested in selling it.

You need another controller to recover your data, or you could just take your drives and mount them in the new computer (after you configure the array controller).

Contact me at e@airius.com if you are interested.

Ernie Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back