Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent Identification problem!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
If there is no Novel server designated as the preferred server which server will I connect too! THANKS

There is no defined way of telling. You will connect to the 'nearest' server. This can be the server that responds quickest - and could be a server across a WAN link, not necessarily the closest on your network segment. This can also be affected by what ZENworks container policies you have configured. For example, of server TEST1 is in the UK.TEST container, and a user logs into the UK.TEST container, a container policy will stop tree-walking and automatically connect the user to server TEST1 (your workstations have to imported into NDS for container policies to work).

If your network guys are clever enough, they can also define a GNS (Get Nearest Server) list on the routers to stop GNS requests across WANs. But, ultimately, the server that responds will be a server with an NDS replica on it for authentication purposes.

I have noticed, by the way, that the GET NEAREST SERVER set command on the Novell servers is pants as network settings (as described above) will override this and set the setting back to ON. Dunno why?

I guess, the first one, which will answer the login call of you workstation (comparable to dhcp-servers).
Why´s that so URGENT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back