Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT/ HOW TO GET DATA OUT OF PARADOX DATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley75

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME THE FULL INSTRUCTION OF HOW TO GET DATA OUT OF PARADOX DATABASE???

PLEASE GIVE ME THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS B/C I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PARADOX

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

Ashley75,

Depends on what it is you're trying to do and the version of the Paradox tables you're using.

Typically, you either open a table (File | Open | Table), query for specific results (please see the Help, as it's a little too complicated to type complete instructions in a few moments), create a report for printing it, or export it to a text file or other format (Tools | Utilities | Export).

Something tells me, though, you're not using Paradox itself. Given that, what tools do you have available? What OS are you running on? And so forth?

If you aren't using Paradox, then you'll need to look at any ODBC drivers you might have installed on your system. The most common is Microsoft's ODBC driver for Paradox 5 tables, but that's not well regarded as it doesn't support all versions of the Paradox file format.

If you have Microsoft Access, you may be able to import the data into a format you're more comfortable with. Some information is provided at
Hope this helps. If not, perhaps you could provide a few more details about the situation and what you've got to work with?

-- Lance

Right. The easiest way is to import it into access or excell using their built in macros.

Actually, I lied. The easiest way is to export the table from Paradox. Just open it as above and click file > export. The box will ask you what format (.db) to export from and what format to export into. You choose the file you want to get to and then choose the format of the program you want to use to read it. If you aren't sure try ascii delimited (comma delimited) as you can import it into most programs and you can also read it with a text editor (but make no changes, if you expect to import it into another format)
Don't sweat the terminology. Any time you want to move a spread sheet or database around look under file where you will see the words export and import (or with excel "save as"). Fiddle a little. It will work.

Most likely the software you have will have an import option which will allow you to import the paradox.db file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back