Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent Help to Connect to Toshiba Strata CIX40 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthvader167

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hi Everyone,
I am a high school student and I purchased a Toshiba Strata CIX40 for my school project.
I have successfully set up Toshiba Network eManager on my computer.
I have added my CIX40 under equipment, and I used the default community name: communityName
However I cannot connect to the system...
I think it's because I have the IP settings wrong. I am getting this error: ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_CALL_AGENT
Windows won't let me use gateway 0.0.0.0 as recommended in the manual.
This is what is in the manual:
- IP address – 192.168.254.253
- Sub network master – 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway – 0.0.0.0 (not able to use)
Here is the manual: I saw a thread with a similar issue but the poster didn't describe the solution: I would really appreciate anyone's help on this... It would mean the world to me! I'm sure that someone knows how to do this, just I need someone to help guide me with the IP settings.

Don't put in the gateway as 0.0.0.0 just leave it blank
Set your PC as 192.168.254.252 / 255.255.255.0

Then open a command window and
PING -t 192.168.254.253 to see if you get a reply

Ok thank you so much for your reply... I really appreciate it.
Because the Toshiba Network eManager program is so dependent on many different Windows features and sub-configurations, I set it up in a Windows 10 pro VirtualMachine on virtualbox.
I guess that I have to set those IP settings that you gave me just in the VM OS itself? Or do I set it in the Host's network adapter settings for the VM (virtualbox shows as a separate network adapter in control panel), or do I use the "Host-Only Adapter"
If anyone knows this off the top of their head, it would save me hours of trial-and-error.

I can't imagine what I would do without people like you on forums like these... Honestly this is the best part about the internet.

Actually I applied the static IP settings to the VM successfully, and I pinged -t 192.168.254.253 and got responses.
The error in eManager still persists... Is there anything else I can do?
Please help. Thank you

No, you set those IP settings on the physical LAN port of the Host Network Adapter then the settings for the VM are as follows:

In Windows 7 you can use virtual XP from MS itself and the Network settings there are 'Shared Networking (NAT)'

In Windows 10 the MS Virtual XP does not work so (as you have done) you have to install Virtualbox. In the Network settings change it to 'NAT'

Ensure that you can Ping the Toshiba from your Host before you proceed.

If you need Internet access then use a Host PC that has WiFi and LAN - plug the LAN To the Toshiba and use the Wifi for Internet (which is why you leave the default gateway setting as blank on the Toshiba so any Internet requests will go out on the WiFi) Hope that makes sense ?

Tosibha Strats's were difficult to program in my time (using a handset only !) so I'm sure someone with experience of programming the Strata using PC will be along to assist shortly.
The fact you have a PING is a good start.
Good Luck with the Project - now if it were a Siemens/Unify HiPath System I could have assisted you further !

I changed the host network adapter to the static ip you gave me. I am able to ping the CIX40 from the host only at this moment.
I changed the network adapter type on host in virtualbox for the win. 10 vm to be NAT as you described.
I can't ping the toshiba from the VM client. What IP settings do I put in the VM? Do I leave it as DHCP? The VM is Win 10 PRO, do I assign it a static IP as well?
Thank you so much

Turn off the Firewall on the VM first and test again.

Wasn't Internet Information Server (IIS) running on the PC required? Do you have that?

IIS and all other dependencies are running on the VM. I was told that probably the community name has been changed therefore I am locked out.
Any way I can reset the community name?
I heard that Toshiba dealers have access to a special program that is able to do that and that they can dial into my system and reset it.

You can easily default the system yourself. That is a good idea.

Power down the system.

On the processor near the CMOS battery, you will find a small strap that is bridging the "ON" terminals. Move the strap to "OFF" this CMOS battery retains programming during a power failure and strapping to "OFF" disconnects the battery. Wait a couple minutes, then move the strap back to "ON". This wipes the RAM.

If there is an SD card in the SD reader on the processor, remove it. A backup can be stored on there and is read if it is available. You can format the SD card later when you get into the system. If you don't remove the SD card then you reload whatever backup is on there which you don't want.

Power on the system and wait for the processor to get to a heartbeat. This might take a few minutes. If you see the date and time on a display phone revert to some past date (can't remember what it is) and 12 AM, the system is at default. The community name will also be at default.

A system with default programming is a better project system and, you can always go back to default with these steps.

The system time reset back to default, but when I dial 250 for the voicemail, the same recorded messages are still there.
I can ping the system, but the I am still getting the error.
I contacted the company who installed and serviced this system and they said that they never changed the default communityName password. They were the only ones who ever accessed/serviced this system as well.
I'm beginning to think that this is a problem of my computer.
To review, this is what I have set up:
Host network card: IP: 192.168.254.251 / Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
VirtualBox Host-Only Network: IP: 192.168.254.252 / Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 / VirtualBox Network adapter for the VM is set as "bridged adapter" If I changed any settings to anything other than this, I couldn't ping the CIX40.
Also on the client Windows 10 I set it's static IP also to 192.168.254.252.
I turned off windows defender on both client and host, but there's no difference.
This is driving me crazy... I have an old Win XP machine that I could install toshiba eManager on, would you recommend it?
Thanks

the same recorded messages are still there"

I would assume like other systems the voicemail system is a different box, module or card and has it's own software to program with (aside form telset) and it's own connection for laptops.

Look to see if you have a card in your system and if it has it's own battery.

As for the network if you can ping it I would leave networking out of it.
Reboot your CIX system, try connecting again, try a couple reboots if needed.
Make sure any patches are installed.
Next time choose BCM for projects LOL

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I like the XP idea if you can do it. The software was designed for XP and WIN 7. My personal experience with 10 is that Network EManager can be dodgy at best. Make sure you get the WIN 7 version of Network Emanager if you decide to go forward with this.

The voice mail card also used the same battery strap idea as the processor. You would need to get a copy of the Stratagy VM Manager software and connect via a serial port or via the built in modem (mailbox 993).

I fired up my old XP machine, but unfortunately during the installer process it says that "This version of eManager is only compatible with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10" and I can't find a version of Toshiba Network eManager for Windows XP/7!
I'm sure someone here has a link to the eManager version for XP/7? That would be greatly appreciated if you could share it.
Thanks

Yes I know how to install the eManager but I can’t find a version of it for Windows Xp or 7

This version of eManager is only compatible with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10"

"the Toshiba Network eManager program is so dependent on many different Windows features and sub-configurations"

Then why in the world are you trying to install a win 10 version on other versions?

I found XP/7 version, I think you have my info already.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Because the eManager is so old, and I assumed (like with Nortel BCM Element Manager)that it would be backwards-compatible. Most other Windows programs are backwards-compatible with Windows 7.
Found a way to get it working. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back