Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

urgent help needed - server will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalaker

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
US
Folks,
Any SCO guru's out there please help me. I have a HP LH4R net server with 4 x 400 MHz CPU's, 3 HP NETRAID 3Si adapters, 1 adaptec controller. When I came in yesterday morning, I saw only a blinking cursor on the server console. I tried tor reboot it and it wouldn't go past the POST screen. After working with HP found that the system board was faulty. HP technician came in yesterday and replaced the system board. The machine goes past POST and i get the BOOT prompt.
While the kernel is trying to load the amird driver it give me the following error:

warning : hd : no root disk controller was found
H iinit ime Loadable Driver may be RequiredG drain 8042
PANIC : srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)

Does anyone know what's going on here ?? Please help......

Hi ,

Basically the OS hasn't got the raid driver loaded therfore can't see the disks . what you have to do is get the disk with this driver on ( the SCO version , you should have got this with the controller , if not you may need to download it ) at the boot prompt you have to enter the string in to load the driver ( have you got a book on your raid / hp server , in their there should be a section about installing raid on SCO , and it will have a string which tells you how to load the driver , from the boot prompt )

HTH

Where can I find the exact syntax for the boot string ???

Hey HTH,
I got the string. But I get this message now

bootlocore: out of low (below !Mb) memory
No memory for string table
No (or cannot load ) kernel hd(40)unix
link failed symbol talbe

hi,

Are you trying to load driver form hard disk , it should be on floppy i think hd(40) is hard disk .

What string are you typing in ?

I am booting like number
and at the boot prompt I am typing the following

defbootstr link=amird Sdsk =amird(0,0,0,0)

Should I be booting from the emergency boot disk ???

Hold on a minute here!

If I am understanding your original post, what happened is the server crashed during the night, and you found it sitting at a blank screen in the morning. To fix the problem you had to replace the mother board. I am assuming this means that before the crash the server was working fine.

If the new motherboard was the same model as the original motherboard I would expect your system to boot without any further adaptations. The fact that the system does not boot means that either the crash damaged the OS, or the new motherboard is sufficiently different that it is no longer able to work with the installed settings. One of your error messages is related to memory, so it could be that your new motherboard does not have as much memory as the old one.

My guess is that you probably need to reinstall the OS to get your system back up.

HTH, thanks for all your help. I found the problem. The onboard HP NetRaid was enabled on the new mother board. Thats y when SCO was trying to find a disk on controller 0, LUN0 it gave the error no root hd controller was found. I disabled the onboard controller and everything worked fine.

Once again thanx for all ur help

have a good day

lalaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back