Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent help needed - one-to-one NAT help on a Cisco 6509?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kythri

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
US
We recently re-IP'd several servers. Falling back to the old IP is not an option at this point.

A lot of clients did not respond to the automated push/update to change them over from IP to DNS, and as such, are still trying to access the old IP directly.

While another team is attempting to resolve that issue, I've been tasked with seeing about "forwarding" the old IP to the new.

Is there a quick and easy method to do this on a Cisco 6509? Basically, I'd want any traffic destined for 10.21.10.160 to go to 10.90.47.11.

Can this even be done?

Additionally - we have clients in the 10.21.0.0/16, so I'm curious, if it could be done for clients outside that subnet, would it even work for clients inside the subnet, since they technically don't even need to talk to the router/gateway to talk to 10.21.10.160?

One-to-one NAT translation is easy to do. For example, "ip nat inside source static 10.1.1.1 10.2.2.2" in global config mode would translate between the two, where 10.1.1.1 is received on an "inside" NAT interface, and 10.2.2.2 is found on an "outside" NAT interface. The only other commands needed to translate that would be "ip nat inside" and "ip nat outside" on the appropriate interfaces.

CCNP, CCDP

Would the interfaces in question be the VLAN interface for both subnets?

In this particular case, 10.21.0.0/16 is int vlan21 and 10.90.47.0/24 is int vlan947.

The specific hosts aren't directly connected to the 6509, they're a couple switches away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back