Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent help - Excel autoformatting for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMaximus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
ZA
Hi guys

I urgently need help with this. For some reason, the spreadsheet i'm working on automatically changes the date to some long format. Apparently this is the days since 1900 that it counts up.

In other words, it is as follow:

I enter a date 01/01/05 and excel automatically changes the day to 36896. When i double click on the cell again, it shows the correct date format as 01/01/05

I have checked the formatting : i.e right click on the call and change format and still it does it.

It only does this on this specific spreadsheet and not on a new spreadsheet. Help please.

a: What is the initial format of the cell ?
b: what format do you change it to ?
c: Is there any code in the workbook ?

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

a: Original Format is General
b: I'm changing the Format to Date - dd/mm/yyyy
c: I can't find any code. Not sure if i'm looking in the right place though. I went to Tools , Macro, visual basic editor. Also no macros enabled.

I think i just found the solution anyways. I went to tools, formula auditing and selected "Formula Auditing mode" and it displays fine now.

What does this formula auditing mode do anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back