Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent! Friends Computer Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealAmaD

Technical User
Nov 1, 2004
GB
Ok, this is pretty urgent so any help is appreciated

Just for the record, he has an Athlon 2400+ overclocked in the BIOS to about 2200Mhz from about 2000Mhz. An increase of around 10%.

He has said that when his PC will only turn on to the memory testing screen but not actually test for memory or allow him to go any further. He cannot access is BIOS and said that twice he tried to reset it using the 'JBAT' CMOS Jumper. No success there.

Currently all he gets is that screen so can anyone help me with this and how he can fix the situation? Thanks

P.S - He's running on XP Home Ed if you want the OS.

Take the battery out. Wait a half hour. Put the battery back in.

If still no joy, and a home-built machine, the fan connections or the heat sink are on backwards on the processor.

If this has worked fine for a while, and this is a new issue, the power supply should be replaced.

If no joy replacing the power supply, plan on a new motherboard and a new processor. The case, power supply and adapter boards can be salvages usually.

Ok, thanks for the quick response and I value the advice. I will post again if anything major messes up or it does / doesn't work. Thanks again :)

You can also try pulling all memory and just try using 1 chip at a time in slot 1 to eliminate the possibility of a single stick of bad ram.

If that fails, I'd suspect the proc. My AMD1800+ heats up like a pycho on crack as soon as I start to overclock it... Even with the aftermarket all-copper radiator heatsink.

Kick your friend for overclocking, and arrange a price for you to get him a new mobo/proc, and labor to install it in his case (making sure your memory is compatible too). Better yet, make him do it as a learning experience.

Also, I'm only familiar with the pro version of XP, but I hear Home edition freaks out with multiple hardware changes.

OK, thanks for all the help, I've sorted it all out and it turned out all it needed was a good brushing out as the components were pretty darn dirty. Thanks for sticking with me :D

Hi all. I'm new here so now sure what is needed to get an answer... I have an HP Pavilion 510n. When the power button is pressed it just beeps. The monitor does not turn on and the pc does not start. I can open the CD drive door and the PC lights are on so I know it has power. Would this be a failed hard-drive or mother board? Or what? Please help! Thanks.

Remove the RAM. Clean the contacts gently with a clean pencil eraser. Reseat the RAM. Do the same if used the video board.

Turn the machine back on.

Congrats RealAmad,

Advise your buddy to blast it out with a can of air every once in a while, and it also helps to keep dust level down if the case is elevated off the floor.

I was adding memory to our HVAC contractor's home machine, and it was an older p3-667. I almost gagged when I opened it.
I swear there was a dust ball bigger than than a softball inside, with one or two offspring inside and a thin layer of dust on EVERYTHING....
He had never heard to blow it out occasionally, and had free access to clean compressed air.

My dog and bird help contribute to my own dust/hair issues, so I can relate to a dirty PC. The clear side window helps me keep an eye on things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back