Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT - Error Message when starting Great Plains DOS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettlekat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2007
US
Has anyone ever recieved a "Trouble reading screen image" when starting Great Plains DOS. This is an older DOS version of the software recently migrated from a Novell 4.1 server. The application WAS working correctly after the move and this error did not start appearing until after I rebooted the server. This is extremly urgent!

Thanks in advance,

KettleKat

Did you get a resolution to your problem?
If so, how did you correct the problem?
We have the same error message on a few workstations.

Thanks, Glen

I know next to nothing on the DOS version, but did have to convert an account from DOS to GP9. I copied their dos version to my PC and attemped to run their system, and received your message. Took some playing with compatibility mode. My guess you are running windows XP, right click on your bat file that you use to run the program, compatibilty tab check all the boxes, and run as windows 95.
Did the job for me, runs so well, sometimes I wonder why people leave dos.

Yes, I was able to resolve this issue, but I might be a little fuzzy on the details. I know I had to re-install the Pervasive SQL desktop client, and then I had to re-run the great plains win32 config workstation program. Most of the stations came up after that. I had a few that were still having that issue.. but for the life of me I can't remember how I fixed them!

kettlekat,

When you said...
"I had to re-run the great plains win32 config workstation program"

Is that doing the GP uninstall & reinstall from the original
disks?

Thanks, Glen

DCIGuy - Sorry for not getting back sooner I've been a little busy!

The win32 config program I was refering to was already located in the directoy where GP was installed. There were in fact two versions of the program for configuring the workstation.

1. A DOS Batch file that set a client ID for license tracking. I believe the name of it was configworkstation.bat. This program errored out everytime I tried to run it in on an XP client.

2. A win32 app that did the same thing but could be run in windows. This little app was also located in the install directory as GP and was named winconfigworkstation.exe (or something to that end) and when executed, presented a small gray window for configuring the workstation. This program also errored out, but seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks,
KettleKat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back