Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent...Arcserve refusing to back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

adame

Programmer
Nov 20, 2000
GB
Arcserve 6.61 which is running on an NT system, has developed a strange, well, error. in a way. It wants to run a full backup today, but it should only do an incremental. There is no way that we can change it. It seems as though Arcserve thinks it has no full backup, but it does (from the weekend). The only thing changed recently is the mammoth tape drive and changer. Could that of caused these problems. If anyone can shed any light on this, that would be brilliant.

Cheers,

Adam

Is there a problem with letting it run it's full backup? Apparently, the ArcServeIT Database thinks that his has no recent baseline full backup upon which to build the incrementals. I don't think that there is a way to fool it into thinking that it does. You might try doing a Merge of the tapes that you know have a Full backup on them. That will update the database with that tape information. Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

I the end we ran a full backup. I didn't want to as the backup takes quite a while, and it totals approx 200GB......
Thats why I didn't want to have to run a full backup...

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

Most likely when you reconfigured Arcserve you also had to reconfigure your backup jobs for the new unit as well (probably you are using the GFS rotation). The first time you do this Arcserve forces a Full Backup job to be run as it requires the baseline. I suspect this is the case for your situation.

Hopefully the new tape drive works well for you :)

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Calgary, AB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back