Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT! All outbound messages have no message body

Status
Not open for further replies.

alura

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US
Hi,

This is a very strange problem. We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise, GFI MailSecurity and MailEssentials, and Symantec Corp 9.x on our clients. Our clients also use outlook 2003 as email client.

This just started last night, I haven't made any changes recently to anything on the server, but I did restart the server last night. The last change I made was last week when I enabled full text indexing for the information store.

Now, all e-mails that are going outside of the organization have NO body, no matter what you put in the body. Interoffice e-mails are fine... but anything outside has no body, and also, if you send an email from inside to multiple outside recpts, it only shows one recpt when it comes through to the other person. The headers just seem to stop. Here is an example:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Received: from sendersISPserver ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by myserver with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:55:22 -0400
Received: (qmail 56445 invoked from network); 20 Jul 2005 10:55:22 -0000
Received: from sendersExchangeServer
(HELO xxx.xxx.com) (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
by sendersISPserver with SMTP; 20 Jul 2005 10:55:22 -0000
To: "Me" <My email address>
Subject: RE: New HP Officejet 5510
Message-ID: <2ECF4B5BFC99B94A8F19A9AC5199B957206893@xxx.xxx.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:55:22 -0400
X-Mailer: gfimail
MIME-Version: 1.0
Return-Path: sendersemail
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Jul 2005 10:55:22.0994 (UTC) FILETIME=[87153520:01C58D19]

Please let me know if anyone else has had this problem or knows what to do. Thanks.

Is GFI installed on your exchange server or on a separate box? Typically I would suggest that GFI go on a separate box to reduce the complexity of the exchange installation and to make troubleshooting easier.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Received: from sendersISPserver ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by myserver with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:55:22 -0400
Received: (qmail 56445 invoked from network); 20 Jul 2005 10:55:22 -0000
Received: from sendersExchangeServer

Whose qmail box is that?

Check your hard drive space. Exchange will trunkcate all of the body if it has no more room for log files on the harddrive. This happened to us 2 months ago.

Thanks. They are a very small organization so they don't have the resources to have separate servers. I know it shouldn't be setup like that, but for now thats all I have to work with. :(

They are on a comcast connection, so they can't use comcast mail servers because they do mass mailings to their customers... so their web hosting company allows them to use their qmail server for relay.

I spent a few hours today trying to fix it, the hard drive space is fine, and I uninstalled GFI to take it out of the picture and it still didnt work. I had restarted the server probably 5-6 times and then I tried restarting once more and it just started working again. Very weird. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back