Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upsizing wizard from linked tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostCreekDavid

Programmer
Oct 11, 2007
US
I have an access application that runs with linked tables. I no longer have the SQL server database available, but would like to reproduce the structure.

i have tried the Upsizing wizard, but since it cannot connect to a database, it does not work.

Is there any way of creating an SQL database from the linked tables in Access? (When I open the linked tables in design mode, it shows the table structure.)

Thanks for any help.

David

If you can see the structure, I would copy the columns from the link to new Access tables. After that, you should be able to upsize the database.

You might have some luck trying to get information out of the Access system tables... I haven't tried that myself but it seems like it should work.

Thanks - I had not thought of looking through the system tables. I have never messed with them, but it makes sense.

You should be able to get the information you need from the TableDefs collection, and analyzing each TableDef's Columns collection.

Clearly if tabledefs are available that is best as you could even recreate the Jet tables programmatically that way.

Honestly, I am surprised you can see the field names so I didn't think tabledefs would work either. But if Joe recommends it, I suspect it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back