Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upsizing Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

vb4me

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hello,

I have run the upsizing wizard but am not sure on what to now do. I know I have to link the front end to the backend but how do I do that. What files do I link them to/where are they etc. Is it the .mdf and .ldf files?

If anyone knows of a document etc which has all the steps it would be great.

Thanks

Summary of Differnce is about 30 days worth of getting used to. Well, for me who is probably a medium level access programmer.

I dont' have all the categorized lists of resources that some of the cooler site users have, but there is a good amount of information on the microsoft site. There have been some good posts on here, that should answer your specific questions once you encounter the challenges with the new format.

This is what i suggest.

Create a new project in access using the access wizard. Allow it to create a new database on the sql server.

Read up on the table differences of Access vs Sql Server.
Create some basic tables to see the difference of datatypes and options for each field.

Then Read up on the differences of the Queries. This is really essential reading. Although the SQl is very similiar, tieing it to forms is different. You can do all of the same things in ADP's that you can in MDB's, don't be discouraged, but there are just some key things that make are important in the linking of forms the SP's and such.

Forms/Reports/Macros/Code is essentially the same, it's working with ADO and sql that is different. I was used to DAO and Access SQL.

Mark P.

Bleh

I cannot install the Access 2000 runtime after a 'hanging' failure the first time. I get an error message saying I must log & install as the same user as the first time (of course I am).

I am not logged in as an administrator & the PC is running win98.

I tried to deinstall but it is not installed. I tried to delete all the files & run it again but got the same problem.

Anyone have any suggestiosn? swanboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back