Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upsizing access to sql

Status
Not open for further replies.

danalynn

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
i am currently working in an access database, yesterday i imported my access to sql. i can not import my data but only my tables because there is a line error at 7751. i do not understand, can anyone help?

thank dana

SQLServer doesn't have support for queries, forms, modules, reports. Queryes you can save in a text file with extension .sql, you can run them in query analizer. Modules you should translate in SQLServer's programming sql script language as stored procedures or as .sql files. Queries you can put also in views. Reports and windows interfaces from macrosses and modules you should eliminate. Automatically you can import only tables. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

how i import is through the import and export wizards in sql. i am importing one table and it's data. the error i am recieving is Error at Desination for row num 7751. i am completely new at all of this. i am teaching myself sql and need help.

thanks again

dana

The Import Wizard should provide more detail in the error message. Check the error screen for instructions on how to read the error message.

The most typical errors are incompatible data types and violation of constraints such as unique indexes, foreign keys, etc. Terry

The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work. - Robert Frost

You can't fix it. If you want to inport SQL's, open queryes in access as sql view, copy/paste the code in a text file and save it in as .sql file. The same try to do with modules. The forms and the reports you can't import. The macrosses try to convert to VBA procedure. After it you should do some much work on translating and eliminating preocedures what SQLServer doesn't support. Also you'll not be able to import the relationship and the primarry/foreign keis. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

John,

I think you've misunderstood. The error is occurring in the data import to SQL Server. Dana hasn't mentioned importing queries, modules or forms.

Dana,

The fix depends on the problem. As of yet, I don't know what the problem is. If you don't know the cause, you can't fix the problem. Terry

The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work. - Robert Frost

right now i am just testing with sql. i got rid of the record and everything works fine. it seemed to look like the other records, the same field sizes and everything. so i don't know what the deal was with that record, what i did was just imported the data and created my own table in sql. so far that seems to work fine.

thanks again for all your help

dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back