Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS showing no load

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaf1968

Technical User
Oct 28, 2003
GB
Hi...

Just a niggle thing. Have a Smart UPS 700 powering my server and switch. Showing no load on the UPS itself or via the powerchute software... any ideas.

Thanks IA

Through PowerChute have you verified the server is able to communicate with the UPS through the data cable ?

Yes, connection seems fine, test and calibration both appear to work, just showing 0% load... Strange...

Are you looking at the indicators on the UPS or are you using PowerChute to view the load level ? On my 1500VA Upses, I need at least 25% load before the first light on the indicator comes on.

Hi Thanks for you reply... Showing 0% load in powerchute, no load lights lit on the UPS itself. Everything else works in powerchute...
I think I'm looking at a faulty UPS perhaps.

Thanks

Turn off your server. Unplug the power cord to your server and plug into your monitor. Turn on your monitor, turn on your UPS. Unplug the power of the UPS and see if the monitor stays on. The trick is to use the same outlet behind the UPS. I know some models of UPSes have 2 types of connections. 1 of them is ONLY surge protected and the second one is BATTERY PROTECTED. Maybe you have it on the wrong connection... I might also be a defective UPS as you say...

All the Smart-UPS outlets are battery protected.

Without knowing what cable you are using (part number is on the cable) and what version of Powerchute you are using (some versions/modes of operation will not display a load value) we are guessing at your problem and solution.

Having no load lights on the UPS is not unusual, as already pointed out, the lights step on when the appropriate load level is reached, the 5 lights each represent 20% of the overall load, until you reach 20% the light will not come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back