Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Power off/ power on timing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleydave

Technical User
Oct 18, 2004
US
My situation: I have built a ‘home controller’ out of Windows XP (perhaps I should have used Linux… but that’s another story). This machine controls my lights, thermostats, surveillance cameras, etc. I do not have a generator as a power backup, so when I lose power, I am just looking for a clean shutdown and restart of my controller without loss of data/state. I need this to run unattended since I tend to travel. I am looking for a UPS with the following characteristics:

After sensing loss of AC, it gives me a finite time (parameterized) to run a controlled shutdown procedure, it then shuts off power to its load (my computer). After AC is restored, it waits until it has enough battery charged up (in case there are multiple such outages) and then reconnects power to the computer.

I have configured my machine to restart when it first sees AC power and auto-login to the account I need it to operate in. So far, the UPS’s I have tried either do not restart automatically, or never actually remove power from the computer, which means it will never restart without me pushing the button. Does such a system exist? I would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
HarleyDave

Smart-UPS from APC will do just using their PowerChute Business software.

Thanks AK, can you recommend a specific model (they only have about 150 of them). I've been looking at the consumer versions they sell at BestBuy, and I may need to go to their business offerings.

HarleyDave

Now it depends on how long do you want your hardware to run in case of power failure. I suggest maybe a Smart-UPS 420, for a regular desktop computer, it will probably last an hour.
You can also use the APC Selector tool to help you choose the right UPS for you :

I recently purchased 3 APC Smart-UPS 1500VA Rack mount units for three new servers. I haven't done all the tests yet but it should last me good hour with medium sized servers but for regular workstation, it can pretty much last longer than most power failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back