Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Failure - Server Crash - Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kida

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
We have two ML370G1 and two ML370G2 servers (dual processors, RAID5, 6 drives)... UPS power crashed leaving the server with no proper cooling for approx. 3 minutes. The UPS power in the building crashed three times in a row... server up... CRASH! Oh! back up.. CRASH! You get the picture.

This actually happened on two different occasions.

Because we are using building UPS power - we have no software utility to shutdown the systems nicely... therefore on all occasions they simply crashed and when the power was available - came up - then crashed again when the UPS failed again...

Anway - my question... can anyone give me some ideas on problems (hardware) that we may expect to encounter in the near future and in the long range forecast.

Thanks

I can't speak on the effects of the hardware, but if you can't trust the power coming into your building, you really should invest in getting your own UPS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back