Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS BATTERY BACKUP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczen

Instructor
Apr 12, 2008
US
This is a stupid question but can I use a regular UPS battery backup with my Cisco equipment... I know the answer should be yes but just wanted to verify before plugging anything in...LoL

Also, I see that CablesAndKits.com offers rack mountable redundant power supplies..
I am wondering if you just plug your equipment directly into these or are there necessary connectors ETC.

I have a couple of UPS but would be willing to invest in these guys if all I will be paying is $150 total for the PWR300 and the PWR600.. (Going to have to buy a 42U rack... LoL)

maczen,

I have 2 in my home office - APC UPSs that power my Dell XPS and other computers as well as ALL my Cisco networking gear.

Since MOST switches do not have an on/off switch I plug them into those under monitor power controllers and plug that into the UPS, I then lable each button - most have 1 master and 5 different controls for monitor, printer, AUX etc. - once relabled - I can turn on what I need. Since I have several switches in my lab, or I have changed the config on the 2651XM and want to get out to the Internet - I turn the Linksys on! Great to be able to control all without having to unplug things!

In my home office/lab my FIOS feeds into a Cisco Fast 400 hub - I have both my 2651XM and my Linksys (backup router) connected to the hub to get the signal from Verizon. Both routers (with the power controler I control which router is on) feed into a 2924-XL switch where all my PCs are connected.

In the past I had a firewall (IPCOP computer) and it is still connected to 2 Cisco Fast 400 hubs for the DMZ and a "Blue" test network - I will connect this into the mix again soon - IPCop makes a great firewall for old PCs.

Code:
                        -------Cisco router/switch lab
                       |
                  --2651XM ---              ---- PC1
                 |            |            |
FIOS--FAST 400 --             |---2924XL --|---- PC2
       HUB       |            |            |
                  --Linksys --              ---- PC3
                   (back-up)

EVERYTHING is on 2 APC UPSs right now!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

maczen,

You said - " Also, I see that CablesAndKits.com offers rack mountable redundant power supplies..
I am wondering if you just plug your equipment directly into these or are there necessary connectors ETC."

I went to this website - these are the power controlers for the routers that you see listed as "DC" - they have no power supply in them and are controlled by these. And YES these routers have a connector just like the power connector on your motherboard - look on the back of your switches - most have a RPS connector!

You also will see most switches with a plastic connector on the back - since most switches need to run 24/7 365 they can be connected to these RPS as a backup in case the power supply dies.

These would not really be needed in a home lab unless you are going to buy "DC" routers!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

You can use standard UPS's for Cisco and other equipment. Just match the output.

Also, the RPS is not a UPS. I couldn't tell from your post if you knew that or if you planned to use the RPS instead of a UPS.

Finally, yes, you do need connectors. According to the site you can order them as options with the RPS.

Why would you want a battery backup? They give you like 5-10 minutes longer when the power goes out. Cisco equipment can just be unplugged or turned off with no consequences. When a Cisco router is either unplugged or loses power, it boots to rommon when the power is restored (usually). A UPS is not really needed unless you have a production environment, and most production environments I have come across use a backup generator in case of a power loss.

Burt

Thanks guys.. That pretty much answered all of my questions... I was just worrying that I might lose equipment in the case of a power failure (dip).. Had a PC/TV/Gamecube get fried a few years back when the power dipped (Even though all was plugged into a surge protector). Had someone tell me that not enough power was worse than too much when it comes to electronics and just wanted to protect my investment.. (Have a little over $800 in my home lab at the moment but haven't included wireless or voice yet)..

I am a little unclear on the advantage of DC equipment... Why would I want DC routers versus regular AC routers?

And thanks for the clarification on the RPS.. I was misunderstanding what that was exactly.. Have just researched it and see the difference.

Thanks all!

maczen,

Burt makes a good point as usual in most home lab cases - I am in the south - lightning capitol of the world in Tampa and from past experience I find that APC UPSs give me more protection then anything else!!

I also had TECO (electric co.) drop a neutral line (by mistake) and the electricity had no where to go - light bulbs got super bright before they blew - my "cute" little Caller Id globe with the call info "floating" inside lite up the room BLUE as it sucked in power - I lost several TVs, phones, VCRs, light bulbs, power strips etc. I also lost 2 APC UPSs BUT not all the stuff attached to them :)

I have my PCs and FIOS network all connected to the UPSs - I can not tell you how many times the power flickers for just a moment - enough to reboot everything - IF it was not attached to UPSs. In Tampa - almost all our cable and electric is still up on poles - wind blows and a big oak touches a line and zap - power goes out for a moment!

I can live with $400 of APC UPSs - if it was just a lab - I would just unplug it when not in use or when a storm rolls in!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda

I have had that issue as well and the apartment complex where I currently reside (is awesome) with the exception of occasional power dips... Usually lasting for two to five seconds... I can deal with lost configs.. but definitely don't want to suddenly find myself with several fried routers/switches...

CiscoGuy,
Do you have a model number/part number for those "monitor power controllers"? I would like to take a look at that sort of setup for my switches... (Are they rack mountable?)

Am also intersted in a "Power Switch" that let's you remotely power up/down your devices. I have located Perle and see systems like the Perle 833AS but am really not certain of what I am looking at LoL...
Basically, I would eventually like to have the ability to remote in to this device and boot up my Cisco equipment... play... then power them back down.. (This way I can access my lab from basically anywhere)! I have already contacted my ISP and a business account (8M down/2M up) and 2 static IP addresses will run me about 80 a month... (I get to dive into the NAT pool.. LoL) Plus, that will open up all of the ports for my servers.. (I will also have a web server HTTPS) and will have something else to play with there.. (Apache/MySQL) and the whole LAMP setup.. Already browsing Perl scripts.. LoL

OK.. I am rambling so in conclusion..
1. I do want to add some battery backups and you guys answered my questions there.. Thanks by the way
2. Hoping for info on a power switch/switches that would support my home lab of 6 routers and 7 switches (Just bought a 2612 for $16 shipping included.. Could not resist.. LoL). A part number for a device that would accommodate this would be awesome.. Doesn't have to be Perle.. I love your recommendations!!!
3. Part number for that "Power Monitor Controller".. My understanding is that this is a device that allows me to leave my switches plugged into it and simply turn them on that way.. This would be awesome in the meantime.. Will be a while before I buy that power switch..

Thanks for all of the assistance guys!!!

About the above post.. I have located the Perle RPS830 and RPS 1630... Was hoping to find a slightly less expensive recommendation if one exists... LoL

maczen,

Here are examples of the Power controllers I use, I do not worry about how "good" they are since I have them plugged into the APC UPSs. I have seen these as cheap as $12 at Best Buy or CompUSA etc. I do get 2 of them the same so they "stack".

I wish they were rack moutable - sure that you could make them a rack! I have a 4 drawer file cab. next to my rack in my office and I have 2 of them "stacked" on-top!

I have a Brother P-Touch lable maker and I make lables for each switch and for each control button!

At Amazon -

or at eBay

I have used a remote lab to do my my instructor recert - very cool - looked into the system that Cisco uses - very expensive because it has a server that stores user info and configs as well as a schedule to book time on the remote rack! It would load your configs where you left off! WAY COOL !!!!!! WAY BUCKS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Too cool for my school!!!!

Remote equipment to turn on your stuff can be $$$$$$$$$$ and you will need an access server - your "store" you posted has 2511s that can be used!

Just when you think you have a cool lab :) :) - check this out, always brings me back to reality :) -

E.A. Broda

Thanks CiscoG,
I have located a Remote Power Controller that powers 8 devices.. Offers one login.. (Seems to be light on the security side though) I have to research more but I see no reference to HTTPS... Either way.. $109
Not bad for a cool little toy.. Comes with a one year warranty!!!

Dude,
That's the coolest lab I have ever seen! He has 10 2811's and 3 3550's in one rack!!! Up until this point I was feeling somewhat remorseful as if I may have overspent a tad on my (closing in on $1000) lab after all is said and done... No Longer! I do want to get GNS3 up and running with mine now... If anyone can help out with that please check out my other thread...

Thanks for that link CiscoGuy.. That's awesome!!!

Nice lab, trust he's not intending to move house.!!

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back