Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uppercase usernames: why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bi

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
I know that Unix doesn't like uppercase usernames (Sun won't even create a user with all uppercase letters).

Can someone tell me why Unix doesn't like this?

first of all, it might cause a lot of confusion having
a user named "Pkiller" other (different) named "PKiller"
and also "pkiller".

another aspect to take into account, is the mail.
in most implementations, mail is case insensitive,
so a pkiller@foo.bar is generally the same as Pkiller@foo.bar and PKiller@foo.bar. At the arrival,
the result would be unpredictable, I guess.

--
pkiller

historical reasons, i think.....

as far as I know, user-names are case-insensitive, at least to some degree, at least they used to be....

way back when.....

some terminals (dumb terminals, not pc's running a terminal emulation program) could not do lowercase letters at all so provision was made for people who used them

i haven't tried this in ages but - if you login to a unix system, as the user 'mike', say - but using all uppercase letters like this 'MIKE'; the system will (well they used to anyway) assume you're on a *particularly* dumb terminal and go into change-everything-you-type-into-lower-case mode, so that uppercase only terminals could login and do some work

a *truly* useless piece of information that
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back