Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploading files with pure asp code 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoemp

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
BE
Hi,

I want to make a administration website for a website I created. In this website I want to upload files (images, excel documents, ...). I asked my ISP for a simple solution and I received an asp page from him with a whole lot of code. The problem is I'm totally new in binary files and I don't understand anything of this code. I can't install upload components on the server because it's not mine. The upload has to be done with asp code only. Do does anyone know a website with a good tutorial with all the code explained where I can follow instructions step-by-step?

Thanks,
Stoemp

Gosh if your ISP gave you an ASP file ( a script? ) then it is seems likely that it uses components that he is already providing for your website. No?

What binary files? Just because the ASP script has a method for WriteBinary doesnt mean you need to know anything about binary files.

Is there a line in that "whole lot of code" that looks like this

Set myUploader = Server.CreateObject("blahblahblah");

The "blahblahblah" part will give you a clue as to which component your vendor provides and that will lead you to the company who made the component and they might have documentation about how to use it.

For example

Set myUploader = Server.CreateObject("Persits.AspUpload.1");

is from a company named, are you ready for this, Persits Software Inc.

I am pretty sure you dont want to get into uploading files without a component.

I'm sure the uploading is without a component. I called him and asked. It's just pure asp code :( And it's freaky, really freaky...

Thank you but that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't want to put binary data in a database. The images are stored in a folder. There's only an image name in the database. So basically what I want to do is uploading the image to the /maps directory and inserting the file name in the database.

Stoemp, the link i gave you does what you want. ignore the binary talk at the beginning, they're just describing previous lessons. the link i gave you gives you step by step instructions on how to upload an image to directory, whereby you can proceed to put the filename in a database. just like what i done a few days ago.

oh, and the binary data they're talking about can be anything (ie images). The section you want to read is "file uploading with ASP.NET" - although this works just fine with plain old ASP.

Ok, thank you very much. I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back