Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploading files from visitor and email them

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkboy

Technical User
Apr 28, 2010
US
Hi everyboy,

I'm creating a website for a client. On the contact page there is a form to fill out which is then automatically emailed to my client.

Now my problem. My client is in the embroidery business and it would be very convenient if visitors of the website could attach jpgs & gifs to the form/email. I know about the <INPUT TYPE=&quot;File&quot;> tag, but what do I do once I know the location of the file on the users computer? How do I get the file (not the address) to be attached to the email? Do I first have to upload it to the server, save it on the server and then send it from the server? Do I have to install certain software or pieces of code on the server?

Basically I do not have a clue how to go about it and any help is greatly appreciated.

Milkboy

First. you need to know how this form (and file) will be submited. Will the user send it via it's email program (which is usual if no smtp server is on target)? What dynamic language do you use? ASP, PHP, ColdFusion? You would need one of them in order to send an attachement without an email program. (you might be confused now, because you think... what is this guy talking about, I want to send the file via that HTML page. Well, it seem like you would send it via that HTML page, but you don't! It will be send in the background via the user's e-mailprogram!

I know some ASP, but how would I go about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back