Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uploading file on a different server than the webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshou

Programmer
Aug 15, 2006
US
Hi all,
Well we want to let the users uplaod files from their machines but the problem is that the files to be uploadded should go to another server (file server, for security reasons).

i have tried uploading the files on the same server and it works fine but have no clue how to upload files on a diffrent server.

if someone has a script or has implememted it then please help

Help of any kind will deeply be appreciated.

Rakesh :)

I would mount the remote fileserver share inside of the webserver root. For example.

mount \\machine\share over /
If you're allowing them to save files to their own home directories, that might prove to be more complex.

Mark

If I mount the other server on the current server, it will still be vulnerable to security holes..

is there any other way to do this i mean the user should be able to upload and retreive files from a different server.
some one has suggested me to use Net::FTP

but its not working for me.

Please help.

Rakesh

>> but its not working for me.

can you be more specific? Have you tried debugging why it's not working? Net::Ftp sounds like the way to go, but it has to be an FTP server for that to work.

Yes the other server is an FTP server. but the problem is i select a file from the HTML file and pass the file name as param to a perl/cgi file, then it doesnt find the file.

but if i embed file path in the perl/cgi file it works fine

do let me know if you want to know anything else...

-rakesh

try using the absolute path where the file is located.

i meant absolute path in the line below that i wrote in my previous post:

but if i embed file path in the perl/cgi file it works fine

it works fine with absolute path..

>> but the problem is i select a file from the HTML file and pass the file name as param to a perl/cgi file, then it doesnt find the file.

I don't understand what you mean: select a file from the HTML file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back