Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upload files

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzn

MIS
Jan 28, 2005
GB
I am busy learning php.

I have created an upload page using php, this script moves the file to the server and the respective information is kept in mysql.

I am not sure on how to show a progress bar, or if there is a way for the file upload to be resumed if the link goes down.

I am not in sure if php is what I need. If anyone has got any suggestions please help.

Thanks very much.

php certainly is not the tool to handle progress bars and resumes etc. it exists only on the server side in a typical web scenario - it has no direct interaction with the browser.

you can fake progress bars with javascript or you could build an upload applet with flash or java. with some browsers (notably IE) you can use pure javascript - this will not give you a cross-browser solution though.

All the above is out of scope of this forum but we have experts at tek-tips in the javascript forum, flash forum and java (sun) forum who will be able to help.

Javascript is the way to go with the progress bar. You could also implement a resume/retry with a combination to php (as a verifier) and javascript (to trigger)

- Shelon Padmore

The problem with PHP is that you only have access to the request to the server after it was completed. If you search the net for it, you will see a PHP based approach with some beta extension, and a solution in perl. Perl can access the request to the server while it is being sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back