Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uplink with fiber with two 2960 using SFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MONATATICO

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2010
QA
i have problem with 2 switch 2969 each one have SFP Module but No Light Coming in both side , any one have sample configuration for that my network don't have any VLAn so i need to communicate with other only

One switch to another, the xmit and rcv must be crossed, like a crossover ethernet...

xmit------receive
receive-----xmit

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Also if you are getting no light indicators on the switch ports it's one of the following things:
-Interface is shutdown
-Fiber issue (bad termination, wrong pair, etc)
-Bad SFP

In addition to the above, make sure the fiber cable is correctly multimode or singlemode, and that the SFP is correctly longhaul or shorthaul.

By correctly I mean if it's a short distance fiber run (I don't remember the exact specs), make sure you have a shorthaul SPF on both swithes.

For example, having a shorthaul on one and a longhaul on the other won't work.

Or if you have singlemode cables make sure your fiber patches are made for singlemode as well.

The light not coming on is typically a PHYSICAL issue, not usually something in the config (except maybe the the "shutdown" command).

Even with the "shut" command the link lights will be lit...

/

Building dependency tree

Ah OK, wasn't 100% sure about the shut command, which is why I said "maybe", but that's good to know.

I wonder what solved the OP's issue, he's not been back since it was resolved, my bet is the tx/rx were switched.

UDLD and BPDU guard can set the interfaces in error disabled if configured. If spanning tree portfast is enabled with redundany(BPDU) or if TX or RX is faulty (UDLD).
SFP must be supported by Cisco too, if not it will be error disabled.
(sorry about me english)

Oyvind

Shutdown will disable the led. Try it at home or in a lab but not in production :)

Burt -- "Even with the "shut" command the link lights will be lit..." NOT TRUE. The link light will go off.

Hmmm...

/

Building dependency tree

OK - I just had to test it for myself.

The SHUTDOWN command does turn OFF the LED link light, at least on the 2924 and 2940 I just tested it on.

I have yet to test this, but when you plug an ethernet cable into a port, link lights come on...what's the default interface state? Shutdown...

/

Building dependency tree

The default interface state of a brand new Cisco switch is up out of the box.

Agreed, fresh out the box you can use a Cisco switch just fine without ANY configuration. (I realize there are features you can't do with it w/o configuration, but it "works" right out of the box)

The original post was referring to the fiber SFP's anyway, which is what I tested it on, but the default state of the copper ports are UP as well.

All dear Helper thanks a lot for the help and am sorry replay cause of travel trip
I will describe what I did exactly :-

1- One switch to another, the xmit and rcv must be crossed, like a crossover ethernet...

xmit------receive
receive-----xmit
This is relay work directly and I thanks Mr. Burtsbees
But I found another echo also I have the same scenario not working also but when I change that SFP working in the first scenario to the 2nd it is working fine that mean the SFP Have Problem but when I take that not working to the first scenario it is working fine relay it is magic I have same switch Model same SFP Mode so what was that now the two is working , By Magic

You should do a "show int ..." on the interfaces the SFPs are inserted to get more info about what the interface is doing.

I could use a star please...:)

No, I am NOT too proud to beg for cookies...:)

/

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back