Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrde: CE 8.5 with ActiveX to CE10 with RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayshah

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
US
Hi

I guess we are probably late in upgrade. Better late then never!

We are using CE8.5 along with activeX viewer.

We are planning to move to Crystal 10 with RAS. (Thin client) I beleive that RAS will avoid installing any software to access reports on WEB. (At present our cosuntant need to download viewer to access report on WEB)
Besides there are other considerations too.

My question is

1. Can we directly upgrade to CE10 with RAS from CE8.5 with ActiveX or do we need to follow the upgrade path from 8.5 to 9 and then 9 to 10 ?

2. Any Documentation on direct upgrade from CE 8.5 to CE10 with RAS?

3. Any specific tips / considerations for this upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Ajay

Upgrade is easy, just use the Import wizard.

I would use the DHTML viewer for zero client, unless you really need report modification / advanced search functionality of Advanced Viewer (aka RAS).

Advanced viwer limits you to RAS server in CE where as DHTML utilizes Cache and Page servers for viewing.

Unless you're talking about CE Lite which only has RAS?

Kingfisher

Hi,
However, if you want to have users be able to print without creating a PDF file first ( assuming Adobe is available) , the DHTML viewer will disappoint.

I am currently working with tech support trying to get the ActiveX print control working in DHTML, but it has been non-trivial and there are outstanding issues that are being tracked.

We will be continuing to use the init=Actx parameter( with a call to viewrpt.cwr) with CE10 and advising users the grant permission to install the plug-in on first use( actually we wil have our Desktop support folks do it for them, since many users do not hase sufficient rights to install it)

Right now, IMHO, the thin-client viewer is too thin..

[profile]

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I am currently working with tech support trying to get the ActiveX print control working in DHTML, but it has been non-trivial and there are outstanding issues that are being tracked.

What problems do you have? it works fine for me?

Kingfisher

Hi,
When I click the Print icon I get the standard printer selection box, but, once selected the Crystal Print control reports a 'communication error - printing will stop'
This does not happen if I use the
Code:
Set rptAppFactory = iStore.EnterpriseSession.Service("","PSReportFactory")
but when I use :
Code:
Set rptAppFactory = iStore.EnterpriseSession.Service("","RASReportFactory")

However, the PSReportFactory object seems to have fewer methods for changing parameter values, so I am still working on that issue as well.

[profile]

Thanks!

So I guess, the answer is

1. There is no need to follow upgrade path 8o 9 and 9 to 10 and it is simple upgrade process from 8o 10.

I still have one question (Sorry for not understanding your converstaion entirely)

i.e. Do I avoid installing any software like DHTML viewer or activeX viewer if I use RAS?

Our consutants are using client's computer where they are not allowed to download anything. Will RAS implemenatation with CE10 will let them access the application and print reports without installing any software on client's machine?

Thanks.

Ajay

We are also now upgrading from 8.5 to 10 and have the same problem. We have over 500 users and they all have limited XP rights does this mean each machine will need to have the V10 ActiveX Print Control installed on there desktops? Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks

Nipper

Hi,
Its a long, long time from May to October ( to paraphrase the song)..

The printing process is unchanged in CE10 and BOEXI - to use the 'standard' Windows printer selection method, the ActiveX viewer is still needed. And that means that each client PC must allow the installation of the plug-in ( admin or power user rights needed)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Turkbear,

We started to get 'communication error - printing will stop' error message after we applied sp3 to CE10 when I click the print icon. Along with the error, the landscape report is defaulted to protrait for some reason. Could you please let me know if there were any sulotion to the problem?

Thanks.
Fan W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back