Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgradingto2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi team!
this is my problem...soo i will need to upgrade to windows 2000. THe problem is, i have only one NT 4.0 server , no BDC at all. And we need to leave it running because it has 2 aplications that we need to run on NT 4.0, and they have already a database created on this server.
SO my idea was, as we are receiving a new server soon (without OS) install this new server with NT 4.0 server acting as a BDC, synchronize both PDC and BDC, and then make the upgrade to the BDC. I dont want to mess with the PDC, because of those applications.
Well that is my first question, is this path correct to make my upgrade?
Second , how can i convert the PDC to just a regular server (no PDC or BDC, just stand alone) without installing it again?

It's difficult to determine what you are try to do here. Are you hoping to end up with a Windows 2000 Domain with the NT server running as a member server with the apps?

If this is the case then I'd suggest, as I have done at customer site, install 2000 server on the new box, dcpromo the server to a NEW domain, move users etc. from NT to Win2000. Create a trust relationship between the NT and Windows 2000 domains. You'll have 2 domains.

Windows 2000 allows you to promote and demote DC's however Windows NT DOES NOT ALLOW demoting of the PDC/BDC without re-installing the OS.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your reply...
CAn i do the same without creating a second domain?
HOw can i move all the accounts, computers users and everything to the new 2000 server from NT in a different domain?
IS there any tool that i can use, so instead of going to every workstation to change the domain name at log on, they can do it automatically? Since i have like 140 workstations..
thanks again

After all seems like a good idea to create a new domain...thanks...but is theer any tool two move users and comuters to the new domain?
At the end The NT server will run as a PDC but only for the old domain right? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Movetree, ADMT, cloneprincple and netdom depending on how you actually do the upgrade. Check out Microsoft for more info: Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

This is how I would do it:

(1) The new server you get build this as a BDC. After this
is built:
(2) Promote the new server to a PDC. This will
automatically demote your current PDC to a BDC
(3) Upgrade the new server to Windows2000 Server. This
will leave your NT Server with the databases fine.
Your domain will be a Mixed Windows2000 environment.

For your second question. The only way to make your NT Server a stand alone server is by reinstalling or there
may be 3rd party software out there that can do this but I would not trust it. Your best bet is just to leave this as a BDC.

Hope my suggestions help.

Zoe

well thank yo all..
ahpp..zoey..i was thinking that if i wnat to keep running on the same domain..but i dont know if it will be reliable, thats the only problem.When i install the enw one as a BDC, where or how i tell it to promote to PDC? The old PDC automatically will demote?
vgrice thanks for the link, i thought if i was exporting or cloning the tool should be used in the NT instead of 2000.
Thanks again to all

Build your new server as a BDC. Once it is built go into "server manager" (you can do this from the BDC or the PDC). From Server Manager, make sure you have "View "Servers". From here highlight the server you just built by simply clicking your mouse on this. With this highlighted, from the menu at top, click on "Computer" than click on "Promote to Primary Domain Controller". This may take some time but you will see the synchronization happen. Simple as that. You can than verify after this is done from Server Manager. Your new server will display "Primary" and the server that demotes will display "Backup"

in case i create a second domain, jus lke the other option i have, after the migration (cloning or copying., etc) of the computers to the new domain from the server, do i have to manually type the domain name in every workstation (at the time of log in), or they will automatically show up the new domain name in the log in screen? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back