Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Windows Server on Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwgreen

Programmer
Mar 23, 2006
CA
Hi all,

We are looking at upgrasding our Exchange Server OS from Windows Server 2000 to 2003R2. We would like to do a clean install, as opposed to an upgrade. What we'd like to do is:

- Backup necessary files on the Exchange Server
- Reformat C:
- Install Windows Server 2003R2
- Install Exchange 2003 and SP1
- Restore the previously backed up files

End result is no impact to current users. So far, in testing, I haven't been able to make it work. What I've tried (last attempt) is:

- Backup (using Windows Backup) the Microsoft Information Store
- Install Windows Server 2003R2, formatting the C:
- Rejoin the server to the AD Domain
- Install the Exchange Prereqs from the Server 2003R2 media
- Install Exchange 2003 using the /disasterrecovery option
- Install Exchange 2003 SP1 using the /disasterrecovery option
- Restore the Microsoft Information Store
- Reboot the Server

Am I doing something wrong here? Are there more files that need to be backed up? Or is this totally futile?

Thanks for your help!!

I have some questions for you in order to more clearly define the problem:

- What errors are you getting (i.e. how do you come to the conclusion that it doesn't work)?
- Was Exchange 2003 the version of Exchange used before the upgrade?
- What parts are failing (ie.e the whole thing, only IIS)?
- Why aren't you using Exchange 2003 SP2?

nedrudrelyt = tyler durden

Zero impact to the users?

You'd be better off doing a swing migration. Use a temp server to migrate Exchange to. Then rebuild the original box and swing back. No impact to the users.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Tyler,

I'm running Exchange 2003 SP1, both before and after the install - after the upgrade we'll look at SP2. This is a tightly change-controlled environment - Server 2003 is approved, Exchange 2003 SP 2 isn't (yet). How do I know it's not working? When I do a Send and Receive from Outlook, I get errors that Exchange isn't running or cannot be found. The only errors in the event log refer to the MSExchangeSA.

Pat,

A swing migration sounds like it might work - just one question, though - if all the users point to ServerX, and I mgrate them to ServerY - would I need to visit the users to update their server?

No. Once the swing server is up and you've moved mailboxes to it, leave the original server online long enough for the users to log into Outlook once. It will redirect the users to the new server (the swing server), and Outlook will automatically update the profile.

Once you rebuild the server, you do the same thing again.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

OK - another question. If I migrate users to serverY, upgrade serverX and migrate them back BEFORE the users open their Outlook, will there be problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back