Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Windows 2000 Domain 2003 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonalden2

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2004
US
The company I work for has a Windows 2000 Domain and we have 2 DCs in the domain. The first domain Controller has Windows Server 2000 SP4 and the second domain controller has Windows 2003 Standard SP1 with exchange. When upgrading to a 2003 domain are there any special considerations or steps I need to take because of the Exchange 2003 being installed on Windows 2003 as 2000 domain controller.

Thanks,

JA

1) dcpromo the 2000 machine. this will remove all AD components from it, remove it from the AD structure and leave your 2k3/exch box as the sole DC in the AD Domain.

2) backup what you need, data-wise, and do a fresh install of 2003 onto the other server.

3) Once Server 2003 is installed, patch accordingly, and dcpromo it back up.

With only two DC's, both being 2003 server, you now have a native 2003 domain.

You would actually have a native domain that could accomodate 2003 dcs and 2000dcs and it will stay this way until you up the domain and forest functional levels to Windows 2003.

Paul

MCSE 2003

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Before you demote, make sure your other DC is a Global Catalog Server... The Infrastructure Master can NOT be on a DC, so I am assuming that both of your DCs are Global Catalogs... just my two cents.

Good luck,
Bandon

Thanks guys. Is there a tool I can use to take a snapshot of my exchange configuration settings or do i just need to go screen by screen to document this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back