Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Win2K server to 2003 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcraig49

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
We're currently running a mix of WinXP workstations, Win2000 Servers, and Windows 2003 Servers. We upgraded the Windows 2003 Server machines from Win2K server w/out incident. Now, I'm planning on upgrading my primary AD controller and my backup AD controller from Win2K server to Windows 2003 server as well. From what I've read, it looks to be a fairly simple process. I was concerned what order I should follow in the upgrade process and if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for you help,
Craig

Things I came across

1. ASP is not installed by default. You need to select it in the add/remove programs

2. By default cgi applications (including dlls and exes) are prohibited. You need to go into the IIS manager, select web service extensions and either a) create a new set of extensions called, for example 'OurWorld Extensions' which should then include all the files (exes, dlls) that you need to run and should be set to allowed, or b) Set all unknown CGI extensions from probited to allowed(the later is probably a less secure method so I'd suggest using a)

3) CDONTS mail (in asp pages will no longer work, as it was suppose to be phased out). A lot of the BT pages use this and they will need replacing with CDOSyS. WE will therefore need to replace. You also need to set allow parent directories on the IIS for a website if you get problems with ../ includes.

I came across quite a useful site that should help with setting up the server

This gives step by step visual guides to setting up much of the above

----------------------------------------------------------------

When you have installed Service pack 1 you will get a problem installing windows updates

To run the windows updates
You need to first
turn on
Automatic Updates and
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

set them both to Automatic and reboot then you can use the update

Thanks guys,

I've been using that MS document and its great.

I was specifically curious as to whether there was an order I needed to go in regarding the primary AD controller and backup.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back