Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading ... What's the danger in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josel

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
Howdy!

Currently have a SCO 5.0.5 with some very valuable stuff in it. I want to step up to 5.0.6 (want perl and can't compile it ... problems with gcc).

Now, I am trying to avoid backup, restore and all that mumble jumbo - if I can help it.

I have noticed when installing SCO that I get to a point where asked if FRESH or UPDATE. I've always done fresh and never an update. That said, I ask, what would be of my HD content if I

1. Boot from CD
2. Install and choose UPDATE

Of course, I would not even attempt this without a full backup (several of them). I guess I am asking more so to know what kind of time frame to put aside or to satisfy my curiosity about this option.

Thank you all in advance!

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

In many SCO related forums, the first reply on a post is often something like this:
Which sort of install, Fresh or Update ?
Seems that the Update process is far from perfect.[sad]
Often you get unexpected network related issue, AFAIK.

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Its better to use the upgrade, just remember to have enough room in the / filesystem for the upgrade. The nice thing about doing an update installation is that most of your home made links are still there when the upgrade is finished.

Well, split desition and I am yet to deside what I must do. Of course I know I have to step up to 5.0.6 at least.

Now, the problem is that I have but one server ... I cannot afford to have it down, mush less, to hava it stay down.

I feel as though it might be worth the money to just buy a second unit (nothing too expensive for what I do) and install on that new unit then transfer all of my applications over to new unit ... If new unit holds, I can then turn around and use old unit for linux study case or simply as a fall back.

A reasonable PC only costs about $450 - Not exactly pocket change for me, but fair money to not risk my existing unit and its content.

Thank you both for replying.

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Far better would be to buy a used system like the one you have, or 2 used duplicate machines. Then you have a fallback/troubleshooting machine. You could set the second one up, then swap in another hard drive for the Linux experiments.
A new machine probably isn't going to work for 5.0.x. The way they are building them now it takes XP to figure out how to use the parts.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair,

So funny, so sad and yet so true!

We are left with little choice now a days. Online auction sites are looking very good to get second hand servers.

This is one of the reasons why I want to experiment with Linux. It appears that the Linux community is trying very hard to keep up with all these new gadgets and new system architecture poping up every weekend. Not to mention the couple of thousand dollars to would cost to get SCO and/or Caldera. Never mind getting a copy of the development kit.

I am not a hardcore *NIX guy at all, but I am trying to learn as much as I can without loosing faith. I love UNIX and believe in its stability, but I am just a small shrim without the energy to swim against the current.

Thanks for you reply!

Jose Lereburs

Try to set up the second PC exactly the same as your current server. It will then be a simple backup the server and reload on the second one.

Linux has it's own little annoyances (kernel rebuilds) but there is a bunch more resources out there for Linux than for SCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back