Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to MICS 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catrancher

Programmer
Jul 28, 2004
US
Has anyone successfully upgraded a MICS running on an earlier version than 6.0 directly to 7.0 without using the upgrade tool or upgrading to a more recent release? I have a customer that we have tried to upgrade from 4.1 to 7.0 unsuccessfully (yes we have the NVRAM 2 cart). The upgrade documentation indicates that if the upgrade tool is not used all system programming will be lost. That is actually a desirable result in this situation. We want to set the parameters back to factory default and start over. However, when the 7.0 software is in, the system will not come up.
Further investigation in the Installer Guide under the Upgrade section reads that Nortel does not support upgrades to 7.0 from versions earlier that 6.0. Not exactly contradictory to the Upgrade documentation but it sounds more like it cannot be done rather than it can be done with the loss of system programming.
Bottom line: I would like to know what others have experenced in upgrading to 7.0 software.

If you open up the ksu, you will see a round capacitor about the size of a beer cap. Flip the board over and short out the two pins for a couple of seconds. This will default the ksu, now you can put it together and start with 7.0.

you will lose all programming that way as well as the warranty

If it is 4.1 chances are the warranty is already gone, also Catrancher said he would like the system to default, this will do that.

this is how i'd do it.
with 4.1, power off, power on, do a startup
while applying template power off
replace with 7.0
power on, reprogram from scratch

You can thank senk1s for this post. This may be safer than shorting stuff out....

if you have any key codes {Pri Enabler etc} you will lose them doing a startup or shorting out the battery

Ideally we would like to do the upgrade the prescribed way (upgrade to 6.1 first then to 7.0) but we are under a bit of a time limit (customer wants it done tonight).
phoneguy427 - thanks for the reminder of the capacitor trick. We'll try that if all else fails. And thanks for the words of caution scanjet.
I would however like silver987 to clarify his procedure. If I am reading correctly we are to pull the power during the template application. Is that correct?

Do what silver says first instead of the cap. Only use the cap trick as a last ditch effort.

That's the plan.

Never underestimate users. They're crafty bastards.
Don't try this at home. I'm a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back