Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to Brightstor ARCserve release 11 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenb

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
PT
Hi everyone!

I have the BAB9 and i want to upgrade to BAB11. Does anyone has already done it. Its so simple like CA said... "Just run Setup and upgrade..."

Thanks to All!

Mike

I'm using new hardware - a new server and new tape silo - for BAB 11, so I guess I'm not really doing an upgrade (because I still have my version 9 up and running on the old server and tape drives). I'm slowly moving over the servers I backup, a few at a time, to the new setup.

Was it easy to install and configure? Yea, I guess so... I'm just not too sure if this is really the best Backup sw out there for us. BUT... we've been using it since 6.x so here we go again....

Yes, I upgraded it well on 2 servers. I had one little problem on one server because I got brightstor.log cleaned by the new one but it wasn't a problem. Everything else worked fine.

So far I have upgraded 7 of our backup servers from BrightStor v9 to BrightStor v11, here are my tips on a successful upgrade:

1. Uninstall v9: Uninstalling will get rid of the \DATABASE folder, but I have had mixed luck with the existing v9 databases when I upgrade to v11. Because of this, I found its simpler to let this folder get deleted and then let v11 create new blank databases for you. This will mean you would have to merge the tapes prior to arestore, but if you don't have to restore that often this isn't a big deal.

2. The \00000001.qsd folder: Prior to uninstalling v9, make a copy of this folder since this folder contains all your job information. After you uninstall v9 and install v11, stop the job engine, delete the new 00000001.qsd folder and then move the old one in. Start the job engine again and you will have a clean install of BrightStor v11 with good databases and all your old jobs.

Once I started doing these two things I have had no problems at all with the v11 installs. I just had way too many problems with the regular upgrades, so I uninstall v9 first now.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back