Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to 7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuscan01

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2008
GB
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you're all sick of answering this type of question but I haven't quite found a full answer yet.

we are currently running networker 7.1.3 on windows 2000 sp4 with 7.1.3 clients (and a couple of 7.2.2 clients). Our set up seems quite buggy and we are constantly firefighting. As you know 7.1.3 is EOL so I'd like to move to 7.4.2 which is a big jump.

Can you give me your thoughts and tips on moving to 7.4 and once you have, have you found it stable? Also is it a good idea to move to 2003?

Hi Tuscan

I made a 2 Months ago an Upgrade from 7.2.2 to 7.4.1
Everything works fine.
The only Problem is 7.1 and 7.4 are not compadible.
So you have to upgrade the Server, Storage Node and Dedicated Storage Node at the same time.

Stephan

We recently upgraded from 7.2.2 to 7.4.1 and then to 7.4.2. and I wish we did not have to do it.

The upgrade process from 7.2.x to 7.4.x is irreversible as the database structure is different in 7.4.x and the upgrade changes the structure. So in preparation for upgrading I would recommend making a copy of your indexes so you can quickly revert back if you have problem.

I would also recommend making sure you have your licensing in order as you need an upgrade license in order for it to function after the upgrade. If you have VTLs you may need to trade in a physical tape library license for there new VTL style license.

We we forced to upgrade for several reasons:

1) There was is a feature in 7.4.x that allows you to have a different retention policy on a clone from the original backup. We needed this as we did not have space on our VTL to keep retentions as long as we wanted on the physical tapes.

2) We had a problem that we were told was fixed in 7.4.1. It turned out to be something else.

3) 7.2.2 was soon to be EOL.

We have found 7.4.1 to be very buggy and were told the fixes to our problems were in 7.4.2. This was a minor upgrade, but still requires an uninstall and re-install of the Networker packages (our server is running Solaris). We have also found 7.4.2 to be buggy.

The major issues we have had in 7.4.x is with the job database which is new to 7.4.x (not sure if it was in 7.3.x as we never ran that version). There is a problem were occasionally it corrupts itself and EMC support can't tell us why this happens. In fact EMC support has kind of admitted that there is a huge problem with the job database and they don't seem to know how to fix the bug. In order to fix the corruption we have had to stop Networker and remove the database and restart.

The indexes also seem more prone to corruption if Networker is not shutdown cleanly than it was in 7.2.x

Other issues we have had is the removal of LUS driver support in Solaris 10. Networker now uses the Solaris sgen drivers and many of the old sj* commands no longer work. It took a lot of research to figure out how to discover jukeboxes and get get the correct tape drive order. EMC support was not much help, pushing the issue off to everyone else (OS vendor, HBA vendor, tape library vendors etc)

The new version also seems to be more tied to DNS and we had a lot of problems getting Networker to start up fully in our DR testing.

There is also a new web based GUI in 7.4.x (which I believe was introduced in 7.3.x) and they took away the old nwadmin X-based GUI. Although, we have hacked it so that we can still use nwadmin - we use it only for display purposes and do all the configuration in the new GUI. The new GUI has a lot more functionally, but takes some getting use to if you used nwamdin. The nwadmin GUI is better for seeing what activity is going on as the new one is more drill down to look at individual objects.

I would have to say that we found 7.2.x to be far more stable and robust than 7.4.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back