Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to 2003 from 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBean17

MIS
May 7, 2004
US
Hello,

We are currently looking into upgrading from 2003 from 2000. I am reading over the MS deployment guide. Yet I would like to hear from someone who has already gone through this process.

- We currently do not perform any type of backup on any user's mailbox's. Are we able to export/import all user's current email? What else needs to be backed up prior to doing this upgrade?
- Unsure to as whether or not we use Front-End/Back-End setup (how do I check this, what is it).
- Can we intsall both on the same box? Or do we need to create a duplicate environment. Our mail server is a DC that also controls DHCP and AD. So bringing down this server will be quite big.
- Do we need a set number of Client Access Licences that based on our current number of email accounts?

This process is completely new to me, and I am looking for alot of help here. Any input you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Id like to note that this server is currently using win2K. Will that be a problem?

Ok, I really only need two questions answered ...

1) I want to do a full backup of our mail/exchange server. In by doing so, will the M:\ be effected? As well as, how do I import the user's mail from backup after upgrade?

2) What in AD is effected? We are staying on Win2K (sp3), so the AD schema 'should' remain the same correct?

Backup and AD ... please advise

Thanks

Does this sound good?

Plan of action :

1) Full backup of mail and file server (windows backup utility will work)
2) Disconnect mail server from network
3) Run adprep /foreestprep on mail (AD Schema Owner)
If no errors, continue
4) Run dcdiag and netdiag
If no errors, put mail1 back on network
5) Run adprep /domainprep on fs (AD Infrastructure Owner)
If no errors, continue
6) Run dcdiag and netdiag
If no errors, proceed
Install Exchange 2003

just make sure you don't have the exchange 2000 Active Directory Connector installed (the one used to upgrade from 5.5)

abuthemagician, how do I check this?

Also, to prepare my backups, should I just do a complete backup of the mail server? Or just the c:\ + all the exchange info? I'm kind've weary about backing up the M:\, as I've heard horrid stories of people losing it when they attempt to do anything with it.

Thanks

look at your add/remove programs in control panel, and if it is there, uninstall it. As for the backup, make a backup that could be used to restore the server to its state before you started the update. That way if something goes horribly wrong (unlikely) you can cover yourself. From what i understand, if you are doing an inplace upgrade you can just pop the cd in and follow the prompts.

Dont have it installed.

Are you sure? I've read on numerous places that there is some prep work ...

Disconnecting the AD Schema Owner from the network
Run adprep /foreestprep on mail (AD Schema Owner)
- If no errors, put back on network
Run adprep /domainprep on fs (AD Infrastructure Owner)

Because Exchange 2003 uses some of the features in Win2K3 AD, and doing this preps it?

well, i just installed it on a seperate server, but first i ran \setup\i386\setup.exe /forestprep then /domainprep then installed 2k3. Like i said tho, if you create a backup that can restore the entire system like it was before you start you will be all set. You can run the /forestprep and /domainprep with the server connected to the network and at any time

Yeah, I wanted to do a full backup either way. But is it safe to includ the M:\ in the backup? Or just backup the information store?

Really? The mail server can stay on the network while those command process? Good to know

we recently ran into problems restoring our information store, so unless someone else disagrees with me i would back everything up.

Also when you upgrade to Windows server 2k3 (if you do) you can do the forest and domain prep with the server still connected.

I don't think we're going to win2k3 anytime soon ...

Alrighty, well thanks for the info!

Is there anything else I should worry about though?

Backup
/foreestprep on AD Schema Owner
/domainprep on AD Infrastructure Owner
*These are two different DC's

Install Exchange 2K3

Thats it? Mailbox's and everything will be ready to go? Nothing else to worry about?

Thanks

So is this correct then?

/foreestprep on AD Schema Owner
/domainprep on AD Infrastructure Owner

Don't know why its like this, but those are on different DC's. Found this by doing a netdom query fsmo.

Thats the only last step im not completely clear on. Unsure to as if I have that right.

Thanks

more or less important is the downtime of your server, I've done a domain to domain migration with win2k e2k to win2k3 e2k3, took just 0 minutes downtime.

been migrating about 300 mailboxes, all worked out fine

will post the trick soon

if you have tips or comments send them to me. I am a human and humans could give wrong answers

ok, so i have done my upgrade from a 2000 exchange server to a new 2003 server. If you follow the directions in the first setup (cd drive:\setup.exe) then everything will work out great. To move public folders, use the pfmigrate tool (do a search on google for help with it) and also DO NOT RENAME YOUR NEW 2003 MAIL SERVER!!!!!!!!! We did this and spent 5 hours getting exchange 2003 to start the store so i could put everything back the way it was and start over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back