Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading server, how big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macetali

MIS
Nov 28, 2001
PH
I am planning on upgrading my backup server hardware to be able to handle the streams coming in.

I need to backup about 2.5TB (spread to around 15 servers) on a 6-drive LTO-2 library connected to the server through fiber connection.

The limitations on the server is to have LAN connections of only up to 100Mbps (can be multiple teamed NICs). How big should my server be (# of procs, speed of procs, RAM size, local disk space)?

Is there a formula based based on different factors (e.g. streams, number of clients, backup data size, etc)?

Would appreciate your inputs.

A straight formula does not exists as it extremely depends what you will do and how at the same time. Such usually needs a lot of on-site consultation.

Go for as fast a server w/as much ram, harddrive, processor speed, and network speed you can afford.

If your limited to several 100 Mbit/s NICs I'd get as many
as possible. We see 2 or 3 LTO2 drives can max out a
1000 Mbit/s (GigE) NIC.

If we assume you want each LTO2 to do 30 MB/s (and the
NICs can be teamed such that their bandwidth is added)
you'll need 18 100Mbit/sec NICs.

On the plus side, your choice or luck in getting LTO2 drives
seems sound; they adapt quite well to slow input rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back