Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Raid 1 harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

user9876

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
CA
I have a Windows 2000 Server with a SCSI controller with 2 73 gig harddrives mirrored, due to space being an issue, I am in the process of upgrading to 2 200 gig drives. I am thinking of removing one of the drives and installing the first 200 gig drive, letting it re create the mirror, then making the data partition larger and then removing the initial 73 gig drive and putting in the second 200 gig drive to have the two of them in and letting it recreate the new partition again. I am wondering will this work and does anyone have any feedback or suggestions before I begin.

Will the raid controller allow you to mirrow the 73 onto the 200? What brand of raid controller are you using?

First of all does your SCSI controller support the 200GB drive (are you sure it's SCSI and not SATA?). With that said, if you try to re-mirror using the new 200GB drive, it will only use 73GB of it.
If your machine supports it why not create another mirror set consisting of the (2)200GB drives (you'll have 4 drives now)and move your data to this new mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back