Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading RAID-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonKouzoub

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2006
CA
Hi,

Recently decided to upgrade disk space on one of our servers Dell PowerEdge 2600. and found out that the only thing we got there is RAID-0, thats right the system and Lotus mail server all are on raid-0. it consists of 3 68.24GB SCSI’s BUT for some stupid reason whoever did the config of RAID didn't use the whole 68.24G and used only 45.42 on each disk... so i got 22.83 unused space on each and can create lets say another Raid-0 with 68.48.

Now i really want and even have to migrate it to RAID-5. NOW the question is---> how to do it ? Just buy another SCSI of the same size, partition it and reconfigure it to RAID-5? or is it gonna be more difficult with a strange setup we got?

And another question. IS it safe to do the migration or is there a big chance of loosing data ?

the RAID controller is PERC 4/Di and everything is configured through it.

Please let me know what you guys think.

You are out of luck on the raid migration with a 3 drive raid 0, see link below.

I would get a cheap IDE and use Acronis Server or equal to clone the present array to it, then configure the raid 0 to raid 5, then clone the raid 5 from the IDE clone. The obvious, backup first.

Percs are Lsilogic adapters, migration...

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

thats what i figured... already tried Acronis didnt have much luck with it though - said that backup would take 3 days, going to try GhostCast today see if that makes any difference

Ghost 2003 (around $30 online) will work on Windows servers, and will do the task you require. I know this because I have done it, not RAID 0 but RAID 1 to RAID 5, did as technome said and used a cheapo IDE to ping-pong data. Cloned the RAID 1 array, booted from the clone to make sure it was good. Then built the RAID 5 array, formatted it, and cloned the IDE over to it no problem.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back