Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading R1.1 to R6.0... add'l features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingmybest

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
Hello all! I have ordered an upgrade card to flash upgrade our R1.1 to R6.0. What are the additional features that the R6.0 will give us that the R1.1 doesn't have? Favorites? Can't misses? Any features I need to try out? I want to hear from you folks that work with these and can give me your input and any shortcuts/tips for adding these new features.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi tryingmybest,
Hmmm, there are a ton of new features. Where would I start? The biggest change was R3 I think. At R5 we get to use the 012 cards. I think my fav is Remote Administration, call logs and different ring tones for each CO if you want. There are only two half decent ring tones out of eight. Another huge benefit is the extra flexibility with VM / attendant programming. It's really hard to go back to an old system once you get spoiled this way. Read the new manual from the Avaya site. I'm sure there are other things that'll make you smile.
-Chris

The new ringtones... what are they like? Musical or just different "ringing" sounds? I've read on several posts someone said they only liked 2 or 3 out of the 8. Are they that bad???? :-D

Hi tryingmybest,
Aside from #1 and #8, they are that bad. Not musical, that would be just as bad.
-Chris

haha... well, since we only have 2 lines I guess one will be 1 and the other 8. I'll have to give them a try myself and see how bad they are.

I agree about the available ringtones. Only #1 and #8 are of
any use. The rest, to me, sound like they were lifted from a video game [sad].

Wouldn't it be a riot if Avaya took a page out of the old Western Electric book and included a sound that mimics the old double gong ringers of the old 1A2 telephone sets? [wink]

You would be well served to search out John Shelton's pdf of Partner Overview. It spells out the differences in each release. Look over the older threads, or do a keyword search from the top tab.

Okay, I guess you were right! Rings 1 and 8 are about the only good ones, but 2-7 weren't *that* bad. They do tend to take some seriousness out of answering the phone, though... welcome to the arcade!

haha... well, with no major problems in the upgrade i'm battin' a thousand. But, the voice mail did go down hill. I think it is the card, which you or someone said they thought was corrupt when I was talking about getting the AA setup. Now it doesn't let anyone enter any numbers (i.e. keypresses) until after the greeting or the "woman" is done talking. So, to stop the madness and confusion I pulled the card. Now I'm trying to find a replacement for cheap. No such luck so far. At least not cheap enough... :-D

Hi tryingmybest,
What price range are you looking in? You would do far better with a VS R4 2 port. They can't be worth that much ... well maybe again.
-Chris

Really cheap! And remember, 2 slot carrier so no room for another card, only a pc card. But yeah, we're talking way cheap. I'll have to "luck" into it. I don't care if it's used or not, as long as it fully functions. We only need the "small" card, too... Not that many mailboxes. Any suggestions??

If I am not mistaken, the Partner rings are the same as the Legend rings, the Legends just sound a little "softer", and dont "blare" like the Partner rings. 1 and 8 are the only "professional" rings on the partner. Although I am amused by the other 6, one of them sounds like the "Zippity doo da" song. Plus, when I use the default rings on the Legend, I get used to it, and since the Legends and partners are so popular, every time I hear one ring, even when not at home or work, I have to remind myself not to run and get the phone.

I have and ACS R1.1 with Voice Mail R4. The Voice mail started giving me trouble with intermittent garbled messages. I replaced it with a R5 mail. The messages are now clear, but now we cannot retrieve all of our messages. When we press 0 to retrieve the mail, the Voice message comes back with you have X number of messages.
Could I have a defective Voice Mail Card are is R5 not compatible with ACS R1.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back