Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading OpenSSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel2010

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
US
Hello

It's a nice-looking RHL 8 system with version openssl-0.9.6b-29. Needs to be upgraded to latest version.

1. Anybody knows the best way to do an "upgrade" of openssl w/o breaking other programs in the system?

I did an rpm-e openssl, & it lists other programs that depend on it. Althought it can be forced to ignore dependencies, best not to with openssl, I think.

2. Should a source be installed & assume will go just fine?

TIA!

Glad to be here!

With anything, there is always teh chance of breaking other programs when you upgrade. I have a source install of openssl on my redhat 8 system. I just upgraded over the old source, and programs still worked, nothing seemed to terribly break.

Ok.

Did you by any chance specified a prefix at instalation time? Maybe /usr/local/openssl/bin or /usr/local/bin ?

Thanks

Glad to be here!

Here is my configure string:

./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl

Ok, I ran the ./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl and a bit early to find out of any bad issues.
The command rpm -q openssl still reports the old version
Thanks again mates!

Glad to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back