Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Old Voice Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exforky

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2005
US
We are needing to upgrade our voice mail ( from version 2.2, we want distinctive ring from our MICS which has version 2.0 of software in it and were told that first came in 6.x versions )
And we are getting conflicting stories on upgrading the voice mail.

One company tells us we need a stick of memory and a release 4.1 HDD.

It looks like from the forum here it may be possible to upgrade the software with only adding another stick of memory.

Yet another company told us that it has to be sent to Nortel to be upgraded and it is easier and costs the same to trade the old unit in and get a new Call Pilot.

So which is it?
It is NAMII - but the first version of hardware I found some document which showed a pre and post October(?)1999 NAMII ours is the pre one. It is the copper version. I *think* there is room on the hard drive, on the free space print out report it says it has ~4400 minutes of free space. I am pretty sure it would need memory, is there anything special about the memory like where we should pay ~$300+ for 32 meg. Or is it just standard memory that should be able to be taken from an old computer?

Also...I saw a post about 7.1 of the software for the MICS being out soon...should we wait for that or is that just rumor mill? And which order would the upgrades be done in MICS then NAM or NAM then MICS?

Are the LED's on the NAM Red or Green?

The LED's on the backplane are green, there is a two digit display on the CPU card, which is red and displaying 00 at the moment.

The sticker on the front reads:
NT5B76AD-93 A0666315
Rel 02 6/9/97 VM 2.1 MOD 6

On the top of the unit it says: Applications Module II
The floppy drive is on the lower right hand side.
F983 then 9 gets "Norstar VM 2.20"

( I did find the answer to which to upgrade first, to do the NAM )

I would go with the Call Pilot, I'm not sure even with that NAM upgraded that you will not have issues. Yes upgrade the mail first because it is backwards compatible.

Thanks. We have decided to go with the Call Pilot ( probably the 150 ).

With the software in the MICS, is there any reason not to go to 7.0? I haven't seen many posts with problems here. We did have one company warn us that 7.0 wouldn't be good, since it is a .0 release and .1 releases fix lots of problems historically.

Have not heard anything bad about 7.0 yet but it is new. As far as the Call Pilot there were known issues with Hardware on system built in March and April of this year. NORTEL stopped shipment of those systems the problem accord within 48 hours of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back