Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading old Palm to Tungsten T3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighturner

Technical User
Aug 23, 2004
GB
Hello all,

I have a user who uses a palm and would like to upgrade from this palm to a Tungsten T3.

I have read the support articles @:

I have upgraded his existing palm files, however I am unsure what to do regarding the existing software that he uses to synchronise, do I just upgrade the existing software to the new software? but will this still keep his files before upgrading the palm?

Please could someone advise me of what to do as soon as possible please.

Regards

Leigh

leighturner,

I have several users that we have replaced their Palm Vs and Tungstens to the T3. Our approach here to the upgrade is to backup the entire Palm folder, remove the existing Palm software, and install fresh from the T3 CD/software. Copy the users folder and users.dat file back. We have run into some issues with synching using Bluetooth and a few of our laptops do not like the cradles. Overall though, the T3 and the software are excellent for our Palm users. I can't answer much to synching to email since we use Lotus Notes and synch using mNotes or Pylon Conduit from Avantgo.

Short answer- Back up his data folder. The T3 software will upgrade itself and leave the folder.

What I did personally was to sync my Palm v with my old software and then did a sync to my new T2. This put all of my data on the T2. Once both Palms held my data I upgraded my computer and did another sync. All worked very smoothly.

Honestly the e-mail sync with Outlook is enough to make anyone crazy. So far we've had some run smooth and then all of a sudden stop working. We've had some especially on the Win XP machines that won't do it at all. Things like the addresses and calendar also seem to be fine, then one day it starts to sync with the Palm desktop for no reason

I've found many 3rd party softwares that are made to get Outlook to work with the palms. My thoughts is that if there are that many 3rd vendors making software to do what the software packaged with the palm is susposed to do then Palm isn't getting it right. .

My experience is that the Palms are great when used with Palm desktop, but your playing a game when trying to sync Outlook info.

Steph

If you ask a question try to anwser one.[sunshine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back