Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading old NT4/5.5 to 2000/2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

andnelso

MIS
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have just taken over a new job where no security has been set up on the NT servers for the users I.E everyone is an admin. I have purchased new Dell servers which I would like to build from scratch (re-enter all users, programs AND security) but I cannot lose any of the users' email/mailboxes from the exchange 5.5 server. Is their an easy way to accomplish this, While not having the new servers online... I.E I would like to build them offsite with the same settings (ip/names/etc) as the old ones and transfer everything to them test and then put in place.
I know this is not typical, but the current situation is not good, and the servers crash weekly.
Thanks,
Andrew

hi,

one option is available u can import your exchange profile (directory import)
Directroy import is import all user id, security, & rules but if the your old servre working.

directory when u import from old one to new one that time u have a option i dont know but like use this user for nt user this is not perfect sentence, but like this. it is in left side in below.

regards,

umang

I agree with your basic strategy... build it yourself so you know its done right. One approach would be to install one of the new server (the one you want to be the 2K/Active Directory root) as an NT 4.0 BDC on the existing domain. Once its full replicated, pull it off the wire and promote to DC. Next, upgrade it to Win2K DC. Then, make the group and account permission changes you want. Once you have the accounts and groups configured add the rest of the domain servers.

Once all the services are up and running, you can exmerge the exchange mailboxes, robocopy the file data from the nt domain and then import into the win2k domain.

Good luck,
mas

Thanks for the replies, but is there a way to do this without ever putting the new servers on the current network.(i.e no promoting or demoting of anything)?
It seems like if the xmerge option would allow me to do that (i.e. no security issues/sid) that would solve my problem.

Sure, you can build a new server domain without the new servers touching the old domain. However, this means all users will have new accounts. You'll need to plan to touch all 50 users pc/laptops to create new profiles, re-establish offline folders, etc. Also, you are correct, data can be exmerged from exchange without exporting the mailbox permissions. However, exmerging to a new domain means loosing all messaging associations - "reply" function will no longer work, calendar appointments created via meeting request will no longer function. Basically, users will suffer a variety of annoyances. But sounds like they're currently suffering anyway.

The thing to keep in mind is that users prefer known evils to new ones. So be sure to do your homework from the user perspective. Identify all the potential pitfalls and make the users aware before you begin the actual domain replacement. Better to have 50 allies then 50 you know what.

Best of luck to Ya,
mas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back