Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading NT4 Svr to W2K Srv halts

Status
Not open for further replies.

joniteravainen

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
FI
Hello,
I have NT4 SP6a server that I want move to AD and I want to upgrade it before I move it (ADMT doesn't work on NT4 and I don't want lose all permissions). It is mainly used for FTP transfer from/to our AS400 system. It's also working as BDC in our old NT domain. When I start upgrading OS, it says that PDC is still NT4 and installation halts. Is the problem connected to it's role as BDC and if it is, how can I remove BDC role.

- Joni -

Yes, you can't upgrade a BDC before your PDC. There are some 3rd party software packages out that can "demote" a NT 4.0 BDC to a member server, but they aren't free.

=====================================
The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems
=====================================

Koonan, Thanks for answer. Thing is that its only svr from old domain that i'm going to use in AD. Rest of them are/will be replaced, as soon as possible. How about if I promote BDC, upgrade it w2k and then join it AD? Could that work.

- Joni -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back