Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Notes Clients 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiesblue

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
US
I need to upgrade 300 client machines from Notes 4.6 to 5.0.10. Do I have to uninstall 4.6 on all machines and then do a clean install of 5.0.10. I would save the address book of course. That just seems like a lot of work to upgrade and there's only one of me so if there's an easier way, someone please let me know. I'm not looking forward to this. Our server is running Domino 5.0.10.

Thanks
Kathy

I too have many machines to upgrade from 4.6.5 to 5.0.11. 750 to be exact. We have not started the upgrade yet but in our testing environment we have not had problems with client installs over the 4.6. As long as your server is on 5.0 and there are no problems there then you should be ok. We do not plan to wipe out the 4.6 but rather go ahead with a 5.0 install over the 4.6. So far we have not had a problem but I would be interested in hearing from someone that has actually completed their upgrade. Our testing is somewhat limited at this point. Anyone with a word of advice for both of us?

I just finished with upgrading 250 pcs from 4.6 to 5.0.10. You can uninstall 4.6 if you want, but you don't have to. They can run both at the same time. Remember though, once their design has been update to R5 or Inotes, then they should not ever access their email db's with the 4.6 client again. It will screw it up royally. A few helpful hints: Save off the desktop.dsk, local names.nsf, and local id file to a seperate location, then install notes 5, then rename those 3 files in notes 5 install to .old, then take the notes 5 name, use it to rename those 3 files you saved off, and insert them into the new notes 5 data directory. That way, they start up notes 5 with their old workspace, local address book, and the id is readily available. Also, the calendar design updates with the email design, but the local address book does not. You have to replace the design on the local address book seperately. Hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back