Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading my PC for the first time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerryking112

Technical User
Dec 25, 2006
US
I have a Dell...which is nightmarish enough. I really don't know exactly what I'm doing. I'm trying to figure this out though. I have a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz with 1022 Gb of RAM. My video card is an ATI Radeon x300. I only have an 80 GB hard drive in there too. Just the stock stuff that came with it. I'm fine with the one gig of RAM, as it suits my needs for the moment. The only things I want to do are add a video card with a higher number of pixel pipelines...like the x850 or something on the cheaper end of the spectrum...and I would also like to add another hard drive. I recently got a 300 GB Seagate ATA hard drive for Christmas...but it would appear that the only hard drive this computer can use is SATA. Am I being a n00b in assuming so? Is there anyway I could just add another IDE cable in there that would fit the ATA instead of the SATA? Or should I just return the ATA to CompUSA and get a SATA drive? And another problem is that I only have a 350 watt power supply in there. If I add another hard drive AND the x850...I'm afraid I'll start getting BSoD's and random shutdowns. I've read about a new kind of power supply made by Thermaltake that plugs directly onto the video card. It works with the built in power supply somehow and frees up wattage for other system devices such as...in my case...extra hard drives. The only problem is, that installing an internal supply greater than 350 watts will burn up my motherboard. Will this Thermaltake supply interfere with my motherboard as well? Or will it be completely separate.

^That is the Thermaltake supply that I was referring to. And I just realized something. I'm gonna have to remove a CD-RW or a DVD drive to put that thing in there. Damned if I do and damned if I don't I tell you...

The only problem is, that installing an internal supply greater than 350 watts will burn up my motherboard.
What gives you that idea ? There can be problems replacing the power supply in some Dells but I just fitted a 600 watt unit in mine. Which model do you have?

Thomas

E510

I spoke with the guy at Dell and he said with my particular motherboard a bigger power supply would fry it. I'm not really sure if it would or not...but I don't have the money to take chances.

Hi, I Googled it and it seems others have been told the same. Most have gone on to fit a replacement without problem
except you may need to cut a small section out of the case for an on/off switch. The mother board only draws the required amount of power no matter how large the supply.Just make sure its standard ATX size and is for P4 you will be fine.

Thomas

Hi again, just read back my post I meant replace the standard power supply with something of a higher output, preferably with modular wiring and of the silent or quiet running variety the additional supply you linked to looks a complicated and expensive solution. Also you need to be careful when choosing the graphics card some ATI cards have compatibility issues with Dell comps I actually fitted my new power supply because I tried to get an X1600 to work although I think the problem is only with AGP cards.

Thomas

If it makes you feel better I just had to use the 1Kw power supply from my computer in my girlfriends computer as a temporary measure. Her 300w supply died right before some very important finals papers were due. But as she has such a wonderfull boyfriend (hahah!) I let her use mine (with only a minimal amount of complaining)untill her replacement 550w supply I ordered for arrived. If the 1Kw (a 700 watt increase) didn't fry hers I doubt upgrading yours will hurt.

Monkey

I just wanted to add my voice to others and say how ridiculous that statement is regardin PSU output!
Fitting a larger capacity PSU is not potentially damageing in any way towards a motherboard.
Let me explain it this way: your house electrics could be powered by a portable petrol driven generator producing between 2 to 10KW (depending on size)
But as we know most houses are powered from a National Supply Grid, which takes it's supply directly from the power stations which generate many thousands of Killawatts.

Your house and it's consumers only take what they need just as your PC only draws what it needs from the PSU.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi

Just a word of warning...

I'm not sure as to the reliability of this information, but i have read on other forums that *some* dell power supplies are not wired the standard ATX way and could indeed cause damage to the motherboard if a standard ATX PSU is used.

Like i said...don't take my word for it...but i have read it elsewhere.

Regards

Dave

Most "proprietary" machines manufactured in the last 5 years or so are all wired for off the shelf psu's. I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong or if anyone knows of a recent weirdo dell or hp or other manufactured machine that won't accept an off the shelf psu.

Like Martin said, it's absurd to tell anyone a higher watt psu can damage anything. Any machine will only use what it needs.

Skip

I think that Declaro is correct. Unless they've changed things, Dell ps are proprietary. An ATX supply will fry the motherboard because they re-wired things...

Well, let's find out...what is the service tag number of the machine in question? If you don't want to give up that info, the exact model number will do.

Skip

Could you just tell me where you're going to input the information so I can do it myself?

Hi, Declaro is correct but only if you you have a pre 2002 Dell. A little Googling will give you pictures and model numbers of the machines and motherboards which have these problems.

Thomas

Oh okay...I didn't think Dell would have a section on upgrading. But mine is the 5150/E510. I'm looking now, but you know the site better than I do...so if you'd still like to do a search...I wouldn't mind! :p

The only thing is that it doesn't caution you about using a standard ATX supply with it. But when I call Dell they say...YOU CANNOT UPGRADE THIS POWER SUPPLY...YOU GOT SHAFTED. Essentially...anyway. I've called twice and spoken with two different people. And they've not told me why I can't upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back